Help needed! Omega Cal. 1020 service

Hello and thank you to all who are reading this! Ive been servicing my own watches for about a year now and have worked my way up to servicing my seamster. I assembled the movement last night, but decided to wait on casing it up until this morning. I threw it up on the timegrapher to regulate it and ended up with pretty good results with minimal positional error. This morning, before casing it up, I checked it on the grapher again and the reading is off. Though the machine says the rate and amplitude are the same as last night, the line drawn has now become erratic and beat the beat error is now fluctuating between about .1 and .8 ms. Im guessing another cleaning and oiling is due, but I wanted to hear if any of you guys had any input. This is what its reading IMG_5690.HEIC

I've serviced several Omega 102x movements, and I've noticed that they're rather quiet, so my timegrapher will sometimes struggle to get a clean reading.  I've made some measurements, and the signal from the 1020 will be 100 times smaller than an old pocket watch.  I'm not familiar with your timegrapher, but maybe adjust the gain settings?

If you can see that the balance has good amplitude, and you're confident in your cleaning/oiling, I would wear it and see what kind of performance you get.   

I have a link to a website below that you can use to convert your image files to JPEG which the discussion group can look at versus the file you have which the discussion group Process and most people probably can't look at it.

11 hours ago, Walsey said:

I've serviced several Omega 102x movements, and I've noticed that they're rather quiet, so my timegrapher will sometimes struggle to get a clean reading.  I've made some measurements, and the signal from the 1020 will be 100 times smaller than an old pocket watch.  I'm not familiar with your timegrapher, but maybe adjust the gain settings?

out of curiosity which timing machine are you using?

19 hours ago, limpnoodle said:

I assembled the movement last night, but decided to wait on casing it up until this morning. I threw it up on the timegrapher to regulate it and ended up with pretty good results with minimal positional error. 

it would be nice if you'd wind it up again give us a photographs in preferably two positions. Either dial up or dial down and one of the crown positions like crown down fully wound up. but as a reminder fully wound up means you wind it all the way up but let it run about 30 minutes and then put it on the machine.

19 hours ago, limpnoodle said:

Im guessing another cleaning and oiling is due

out of curiosity how did you clean this watch? Then did you remove or replace the mainspring? Tell us about your lubrication techniques

then background history what was the watch doing before you serviced it?

https://heictojpg.com/

IMG_5690.jpg

• Like 1

I forgot for up above it would also be nice to have a picture of you holding the watch in the movement holder so we can see if there was an issue with how the machines picking up the watch plus whether you've ever had this happen before?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

From my experience for some movements the correct setting of the gain makes a great difference. Try increasing or lowering it and see if you can get a more stable reading. Also try putting it on the timegrapher without a case if you haven't already. Sometimes it can be possible that the reading gets disrupted by other devices nearby, also check on that ?

As @handwound says, try it without the case. Being in the case can cause extra noise/errors on the signal, especially if it's a quiet movement. 

I'm working on a Seiko 4006 and have it on the timegrapher this morning. The second picture is where I've loosened the screw on the holder slightly - similar to being in an open case and not held securely - you can see extra noise. That's why  I always put the movement directly in the timegrapher.

20210203_100733.thumb.jpg.fb3a11fc351d167009db7c44428422d7.jpg

20210203_100930.thumb.jpg.a52ba9129b28217f67e2c90d2757d089.jpg

Edited by mikepilk