Hi all; a fellow watch tinkerer

Hi all, I took Mark's courses about a year ago, and am hooked. Frustrating yes, but I've learned so much (most of all, what I don't know!). I love to acquire watches not running well or not at all, and try to revive them.

Now here's my latest problem:

It's a vintage Ernest Borel that I just can't get out of the case. I've removed the back and the crystal, hands, crown/stem, and all the parts accessible from the back, but the movement will not budge.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks much

Fred

thumbnail_IMG_0977.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0978.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Good day! i have choice to buy this legendary watch in exactly my favorite condition: 1.) unserviced  2.) untested  I wouldn’t mind there is no evidence if barometric module works, but what I mind is, I can’t find any technical information of how this module looks and works.  I like to get challenging new movements and also don’t want to crops the line of spoiling something.  Does any of you, kind souls have any literature or link or photo or even oil painting of this module? The watch is referred as 53223. Cheers! Jakub 
    • We haven't or at least I haven't entirely forgotten? The problem is I've seen this somewhere? We've discussed sleeves before I don't know if we covered ones for wristwatches probably have but I've seen one of these before I just need to remember where the reference was that I saw it once I remember I can find that and I'll attach it. Then the reason why we not getting copious quantity of answers is because if you notice anything related to American watches in particular earlier watches especially anything involved with casing and sleeves there aren't that many people on this group that work with those. Plus I was hoping for a better name inside the case. Because of you go to an offbrand it's going make it a lot harder and getting a sleeve to replace that anyway is going to be much much harder so as soon as I can remember where I saw the reference to this?
    • I am working on this thing.  It needs a new hairspring--I am searching. But what I wanted to mention here refers to the design of this movement.  Notice that one large plate that wraps around one side of the movement.  It is a real bear to get it installed given that one of the wheels is buried underneath and difficult to position while trying to manage the escape wheel. The later 6/0 Walthams (e.g., the 6/0-D which I have) splits this plate into two pieces. I am a neophyte and as such, have not seen a vast number of movements.  Maybe stuff like this is common.
    • Perhaps back to basic school lessons may be the answer.  🤔 Put some iron fillings on a piece of thin paper and put this on something plastic that you can hold over the item being checked. Moving it about should see a pattern in the iron filings develop.  If none then no magnetism in item?