Yet another Newbie!

MPLawrence

Hi All

Time (no pun!) to introduce myself. I'm Mike, a 50-something hobbyist tinkerer - as the loverly wife calls me.

Long story short, my first career was with a certain Gerald Ratner (until he made his famous speech), moving around with Ernest Jones and others until early 2001. I gained an appreciation and passion for mechanical watches during this period, although my 'tinkering' at that time was limited to battery changes, bracelet adjustments and the odd mainspring release (incorrectly, as I've now learned!)

Now frontline NHS I've spent the last six months building up a nice relaxing, therapeutic hobby as a release from the daily madness. It's been something I've thought about for a long time. In Autumn of last year I took the first of Mark's courses, then promptly blew the budget on purchasing equipment & tools and setting up a DIY work area. Photos available if anyone is interested ?

I've a real interest in the late 1990s Oris watches, having sold them for a number of years along with the big Swiss players (not at Ratners!) I've a small collection of Swiss and Japanese mechanicals which I plan to learn to service properly myself. Also a couple of gorgeous Garrard stopwatches, and a 'Services' Army pocket watch on which to learn my skills. I may have some questions in due course with the latter; pin-lever movement and original - broken - mainspring and glass to consider.

The last few months have been brilliant - I love it. Should have done this many years ago!

All the best,

Mike

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...