Watch repairer recommendations

8 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

I think the best thing is for you to take it to a bona fide watchmaker/repairer in your area. If in doubt the BHI British Horological Institite web site will give you a list of such persons.

Problem is, reputable and accredited watchmakers are likely to decline working on fakes. Unfortunately that is the position many people find themselves with Chinese watches that turns out to be defective before or later.

• Like 1

Please mention in which country and town you live? Even if it's the UK as with many other members, this is truly an International forum.

In the UK the common advice is to check BHI database but my own is to consider first the various reputable watch repairers with good online presence and published service estimate cost.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Graziano said:

Hey JohnD , off the topic, but that one you got serviced is a ripper 

As it explains in Rich's write up, I've had it for 52 years now. It was bought for me as a 21st birthday present by first wife and cost just under £40 at the time.....It is a bit special..?

7 minutes ago, JohnD said:

As it explains in Rich's write up, I've had it for 52 years now. It was bought for me as a 21st birthday present by first wife and cost just under £40 at the time.....It is a bit special..?

Wow, I love stories like that, thanks JohnD 

Edited by Graziano

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

Might be worth contacting Rich Askham, I can recommend his work, having had several watches serviced by him?...

The first being this one about 5 years ago...

Yes also off topic it is as Graz said, a ripper. Curious, wonder how he matched old lume? Did he have old lume to apply or did he mix n match new stuff to look vintage? I myself have done a few lume jobs and although fun as a hobbyist, not so fun trying to mix n match.  Vintage patina alludes me. Success has been less than stellar. 

4 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

Yes also off topic it is as Graz said, a ripper. Curious, wonder how he matched old lume? Did he have old lume to apply or did he mix n match new stuff to look vintage? I myself have done a few lume jobs and although fun as a hobbyist, not so fun trying to mix n match.  Vintage patina alludes me. Success has been less than stellar. 

Sorry about this...

710304268_Threaddirection.jpg.6088512a597975daae356818159b64ff.jpg

Rich mixes the lume colour himself to match, here is another one that he did for me and re-lumed the hands to match the existing lume dots on the dial....

77593878_CamyBowtie.jpg.85cb8b4c86ed2d7fe1adb3563c7464f5.jpg

hello, i'm looking for a person to service a watch with a Miyota automatic 21 jewel movement.   it's a Skagen labeled titanium watch that i've actually had for more than 20 years, and it's never been serviced and is now running slow, like 5 minutes per day and will die if not worn overnight.  i don't know the movement #, but from the rear (it has a see-through back), it looks (to my eye) like an 8125 but has the date window at the 6:00 position, so maybe from a similar series..

i'm located in Western North Carolina

any and all help is appreciated!  i really like this watch and would like it to be dependable and accurate again

-John

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I need some advice about getting a garrard watch serviced & a new strap & lens fitted, a few years back i inherited my grandfathers watch, it has been sitting in its box in a draw for a few years but now I'd like to get it sorted out so I can use it. As you can imagine it has great sentimental value, so I want to find a trustworthy & good place to send the watch to get it serviced, could anyone recommend someone to me please, im not sure of the model number of the watch but can post a picture if needed. Thank you for you help guys

Hi Stew, welcome to the forum. One place you could consider is called Mistal Time Services, they are based in Leigh, Lancs. They are a trade servicing company so may not take direct, but worth a look.

Graham

• 1 month later...

Omega Seamaster approx 1968.

The watch belonged to my grandfather so I would ideally like to have it restored. However it's in quite a bad way so I'm wondering if it's worth it. It would need a new crystal, face, probably hands and some kind of case restoration. The main problem is water ingress damage shown in the pictures. I don't have a picture of the outside of the back to show you it is worn almost completely smooth but there is faint evidence of the original markings.

What are my options? Is it viable?

Thanks in advance,

Moo

image.png.e3cc268b282dc7668b0361cd4cc9895f.pngimage.png.6a8617743722aed2aa8ea824436f7250.png

image.png.858616cb20beb8204ca93b4478d81159.png

Although the condition look poor, you have a few choices, take or send it to an Omega shop/dealer, Then apply for a mortgage to pay for it, find a watch maker who will do it again at a good cost or if you feel up to it do it you self. It will still come in at some cost for parts etc but as its a family piece only you can work out the economics. Have a look round the watch and under the balance wheel and dial for a caliber number as this you will need if and when ordering parts. There are many competent members who will help you though if you so decide.

• Like 1