To polish or not to polish

Question

Hi there, just wondering what everyones thoughts are on polishing your watch collections. Yesterday I pick up this nicely working grade 1 1908 Waltham pocket watch. And the first thing I did was polish by hand the nickel silver case to see the condition of it. I use menzerna universal cream on all of my collection. Gold plated, gold filled, silver what ever. Even if some plating has worn off they still turn out nice and shiny. Do you guys and gal's polish your collection? 

Cheers Graziano 

IMG_20210121_082213.jpg

IMG_20210120_214922.jpg

16111824446848212203466669321653.jpg

Edited by Graziano
  • Like 1

6 answers to this question

Looks really nice ☺️👍. I polish my cases and acrylic crystals with autosol metal polish which does a great job. For brass and nickel cases I apply a coat of lacquer otherwise they tarnish.

• Thanks 1

Yep. With Simichrome. It's what I use to polish injection mold and punch press dies with. Works great.

There are some though, depending on age and model, that I don't for obvious reasons.  Just want to leave "the look," ya know?

20200719_155503.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MechanicMike said:

Yep. With Simichrome. It's what I use to polish injection mold and punch press dies with. Works great.

There are some though, depending on age and model, that I don't for obvious reasons.  Just want to leave "the look," ya know?

20200719_155503.jpg

Hello, which ones don't you polish just out of interest have you got a photo? I have this Admam Burdess 1888 made fusee that was filthy so I serviced it and polished everything in and out of the Watch. 

16111964601617764125644645785721.jpg

1611196518457865917400325536229.jpg

16111965954043061778689101879369.jpg

16111967033345876308530921146554.jpg

Edited by Graziano
  • Like 1

Nothing special-sometimes I just like the look of a well worn, almost satin-like finish of an old pocketwatch.  Just a personal preference.  The Hamilton was my grandfather's. 

20200904_205935.jpg

20200904_205924.jpg

20200525_205504.jpg

20200525_205203.jpg

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By Anthony1979
      Hello. I recently received my diamond pastes and have had some success using a leather band and microfiber along with the pastes to reduce and (in some cases) remove scratches from the lenses of various watches. I am wondering now how to bring the process from hours to minutes. I want to be able to polish metal bands as well, but glass & crystals are my main focus. I have found that all the rorory tools run at 10k to 35k rpm. I know i need more like 1k to 7k rpm. Are these possible to find? does anyone have other suggestions? I looked into bench polishers. These look great for bands, but i dont have a garage and im not sure this is the best option for removing scratches from crystals and glass lenses. what is recommended for doing this at home? thanks in advance.
    • By Ashnz
      Howdy to all. Its amazing to see how this forum is flourishing exponentially. Mark deserves a lot of credit for pulling this together :thumbsu:
      I need some help with restoring a mineral glass. I believe it is possible to polish a mineral glass by removing the scratches. I have never tried it myself but would love to give it a go.

I understand that its just not worth investing so much time polishing it esp if its a round glass which costs only couple of dollars. However, it might be worth for some odd shaped glasses.

Have any of you guys performed that before? I would love to hear all the different approaches.

Thanks a lot in advance

Ash (NZ)
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Hi JDM - Thanks for the detailed reply. The Bezel only looks like a rotating time ring, but it's just a "faux" divers watch, only rated to 50m. I think the Seiko "Solar Power" version actually had a rotating ring and Tritium on the hands and numbers and was rated to 200m or something. But, the bezel is fixed. Also, there are no "indent" or any indication that you could use a Snap Back knife to open the bezel. If this is not indeed a screw off bezel (using a screw type base wrench), then a 4 blade bezel tool is likely the only thing that will remove it. Then I'll need to figure out how the stem is removed so I can remove the whole movement to get to the Cap which I assume is underneath. Other owners on some other watch forums have reported the same experience I had with my Lorus/ Seiko 851 model, the Capacitor fails after only 8 to 10 years and nothing like the "promised" 80 years (Life Time Warranty they refuse to obey). Quite a few owners wrote that they had the Capacitor replaced, but no details on HOW. Read my response above to "watchweasol". There's been some conflict about which capacitor to use as well since the original 2023 24T / MT920 was discontinued 30 years ago (probably the reason all these Lorus Solar watch never met the 80-year promise. Supposedly the replacement Cap is a 3023 24T now. The word in some forums is that this Maxell Cap will last 30 to 40 years. The Seiko Kenetic watches supposedly also use this same Capacitor. Have you ever worked on the Seiko Solar version of this Lorus? Thanks.    
    • @watchweasol - I  know that was the Seiko "company line" for both the Seiko and Lorus branded "Solar Power" versions, but there are an awful lot of folks that bought both and found the Capacitor died, like mine, only after 8 to 10 years and did have the Capacitor replaced with at first the original 2023 24T version and then the 3023 24T, which is apparently a much longer lived replacement. Seiko's "promise" of an 80-year life for this Capacitor was all hooey and likely the reason Seiko quickly dropped both their own branded model and the Lorus ones after just 10 years on the market. Both Seiko and Lorus (who is no longer in North America) refuse to honor the "life time" warranty. One of the reasons I now trust Casio more than Seiko for warranty promises. The movement in the Lorus is literally the exact same one that was in the 3 "Solar Power" Seiko mens models, a Seiko NA tech admitted that to me almost 30 years ago when mine stopped charging. I bought it new in 1986 or 87, and I still have the original paper manual and box and "Life Time Warranty" card (good for nuthin'). I've been a watch and clock "collector" since a teenager, prefer early American pocket watches, but who doesn't love early American MADE and Japanese and Swiss made wristwatches? So I've also collected all the tools a watch and clock tech uses, many pretty vintage too, and learned how to work to a certain degree on most any watch or clock, restoring and fixing, to my limits. I already have that (another version) Bezel removing tool, am just trying to confirm that the bezel is NOT a screw on, or absolutely IS a press-fit. Was hoping to find someone that has either worked on the Lorus version or the sort of same looking Seiko versions that also had the one-piece "tub" body. The Bezel only looks like a rotating time ring, but it's just a "faux" divers watch, only rated to 50m. I think the Seiko version actually had a rotating ring and Tritium on the hands and numbers and was rated to 200m or something. This Lorus/Seiko is an odd-ball and there is absolutely no repair info on them, so that makes me want to fix it more myself.
    • Very, very nice production.  Really outstanding walkthrough!
    • I assume that this is made after Aaron Lufkin Dennison time. I consider this as treasure. 🙂 Case Opener (i should have cleaned it first I see 🙂 ):
    • I really can't pass up free help let me see what I can do for additional pictures. Somewhere lurking in the computer I think I have a PDF for the relay. Just don't the word is right now. At least we had an answer for what one of the diodes is we get the last number of seven. Such probably a 4007.