Twitching Pendulum

RogerH

Hi, I'm new this site, a happy tinkerer but thought I would say hi and see if anyone can help. 

I have a mantle clock which had a broken suspension spring - type E with two springs approx 21mm in length - I have replaced this without any fuss but when the pendulum swings it has a little kick outwards at the end of the arc. It looks as if it's swinging more on one spring than the other which may be causing the pendulums erratic path and could have caused the spring to snap in the first place. the only thing I can think of is if the suspension spring is sitting too tightly in its mount. Are these supposed to sit loose? has anyone seen this sort of thing before?

What type of clock have you got  pictures? would help to see what the problem may be, this type of suspension is easily damaged when fitting any kind of slight bend or kink in the suspension could cause what you are experiencing with this clock, is the new suspension of good quality or is it a cheaper Indian one.

The suspension needs to be loose enough for it to hang dead straight under the weight of the pendulum if its at a slight angle it will cause a wobble in the pendulum action.

• Like 1

as an update to this, wls1971 mentioned cheap springs and I believe he was right. I bought two lots of assorted springs and on close inspection you can see they are uneven in both spring width and level - pic attached - I assume this isn't how they should be! Is there a good reliable go to place for spares?

I managed to find one that looked even, fitted it and off she went happy as can be and no twitching. However, after a while it was apparent that the unit is running a bit fast. ordinarily I would just adjust the pendulum but it turns out this is completely seized. not just the adjuster but the whole weight looks as if it's been glued in place! again, I've never seen anything like that before and assume it's not right. I wonder if the clock has always had a few problems so they ended up gluing it in place...and then selling it to an idiot ?

Suspension Springs.jpg

Pendulum.jpg

Suspension Spring 2.jpg

None of those S/springs are any good. The reason I asked to see the complete pendulum set up was for me to see the gap between the pendulum leader, sometimes a tiny drop of oil on both sides prevents rubbing and as you call it twitching I normally call it wandering as the pendulum doesn't travel in a straight line. Now from what you say I think you will need to take the whole movement apart, don't forget to let both springs down first.   

22 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

None of those S/springs are any good. The reason I asked to see the complete pendulum set up was for me to see the gap between the pendulum leader, sometimes a tiny drop of oil on both sides prevents rubbing and as you call it twitching I normally call it wandering as the pendulum doesn't travel in a straight line. Now from what you say I think you will need to take the whole movement apart, don't forget to let both springs down first.   

Thanks oldhippy. Just to clarify, I didn't fit any of those springs, they were just the rejects. The one I fitted was even and sat nicely with a smooth movement. This solved the wandering - a good description btw although does suggest a gentle meander from it's true path, mine was more of an abrupt movement - however, I digress. my problem now is one of a fixed pendulum that won't adjust, I'll get some clearer pictures.

8 minutes ago, wls1971 said:

Cousin material house supplies good quality German suspensions individually,

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/pendulum-clock-suspension-springs

Thanks, it looks a great site...I can see me spending tonnes! I'll certainly replace the existing spring even though the current one appears to be working, it's certainly not of good quality.