Geneva Stop Works and Mainspring Let Down

41 minutes ago, Woolshire said:

I believe it has the stop work wheel.

Can you see the stop works?

42 minutes ago, Woolshire said:

My question is should that wheel be removed before I let down the mainspring with the click retracted?

A lot of this depends upon how to answer the first question? Depending upon things you may not build a access the stop works without taking the barrel out. Then it's all the more fun with the power off not impossible just more interesting. It's much easier to do it in the watch if you can.

43 minutes ago, Woolshire said:

Otherwise, there will be a one full wind in it, I presume?

Then you can let the power off without removing to stop works it will just come to a stop of course. How much power is there depends upon who set it up. There's not necessarily a rule of having one turn it depends on the length of the mainspring the watch itself and if you're trying to pick an appropriate part of the mainspring to run the watch. And I was of you don't have enough power you might put more than one turn initially see her on the top are the mainspring or if you too strong you might just barely put any as long as the watch runs when it comes to a stop.

Woolshire, a common way of realising a stop work in a watch is by having a maltese cross and a finger wheel installed on the barrel cover. First you let down the mainspringing. Although there is still half to one turn of power in the barrel you dont't need to worry. It won't reach the going train because the stop work stoped it. Take out the barrel and clamp it by the barrel arbour in a vice - barrel cover up looking at the stop work. Now turn the barrel with left hand thumb and index finger just a bit to free the stop work. Take out the finger wheel with a pair of tweezers. Still grabing the now free barrel let down the last remaining power carefully between your fingers. Assembly is the same backwards.

All the best from Hamburg

Alex

p.s. carefully make a note or a picture of the stop work wheels start position.

• Like 2