Any thoughts on this Watch and Strange Rotor

Hi there JD, that is what you call a bumper movement 

A bumper movement is a type of self-winding, automatic movement.

However, unlike a modern automatic, which has the rotor spins a full 360 degrees, a bumper moves back and forth at about 120 degrees.They are fun to wear. You can feel a slight thud as you turn your wrist reminding you that you are wearing a bumper. It is an interesting method to wind the watch that avoids infringing on full rotor patents.Hope that helps 

Cheers Graziano 

Edited by Graziano
  • Like 1

Looks like an AS1171 which as @Graziano says is a bumper movement. As such the oscillating weight doesn't make a full rotation at all but swings back and forth through an arc of about 170 degrees, bumping off the buffer springs that you can see.

On 1/4/2021 at 2:58 AM, Kobus said:

Thanks. Enjoyed that. 

On 1/4/2021 at 5:18 PM, luiazazrambo said:

I did not even know that it is called dressing (English is not my mother tongue). Interestingly I have not read your advise or any other advise after the video for dressing and I almost did the same thing on my own following common sense. I worked on my brass tweezers internally first - the only difference was that i used grit 800 and i did not fold it only worked on one of them at the time -, then i worked on them along the sides - perpendicular. I am sure it is not perfect as I did it more or less the first time, but i am sure it is a way better then they were before. I also bought a pair of Dumont tweezers as you are not the first one who said the same thing but with different words: "it was like going from a riding lawn mower to a Rolls Royce". However i have not felt that big jump, i bought a set of 8 stainless steel tweezers from cousinsuk and they are quite ok. (They were advertised as "Superior Quality" but could not compare them to something else - before the Dumont - as it was my first set ever for watchmaking) Well they are good or I am just not experienced enough to feel the difference between those and the Dumont. When I look at them under the microscope the Dumont looks better though. ?

I know: practice, practice, practice.

All in all very good advice, thank you. ?

On 1/7/2021 at 5:55 PM, Poljot said:

Being a pirate is no longer a requirement on immigration application.

Arrr

22 minutes ago, Marc said:

Looks like an AS1171 which as @Graziano says is a bumper movement. As such the oscillating weight doesn't make a full rotation at all but swings back and forth through an arc of about 170 degrees, bumping off the buffer springs that you can see.

Thanks Mark. I will be stripping it down and getting it working and looking good again. Cool watch that I got in a trade for work.

12 hours ago, Graziano said:

Hi there JD, that is what you call a bumper movement 

A bumper movement is a type of self-winding, automatic movement.

However, unlike a modern automatic, which has the rotor spins a full 360 degrees, a bumper moves back and forth at about 120 degrees.They are fun to wear. You can feel a slight thud as you turn your wrist reminding you that you are wearing a bumper. It is an interesting method to wind the watch that avoids infringing on full rotor patents.Hope that helps 

Cheers Graziano 

Very appreciated. I was stumped when I first saw this movement as I was thinking “where the heck is the rotor “ ? interesting but simple design. When it says incabloc , what is the company that produced by his watch?

On 1/18/2021 at 10:06 PM, jdrichard said:

Very appreciated. I was stumped when I first saw this movement as I was thinking “where the heck is the rotor “ ? interesting but simple design. When it says incabloc , what is the company that produced by his watch?

I don't know who made your watch I can't see makers name but back in the mid-20thcentury, the “Incabloc” trademark was a sign of quality and excellence for watches, to the point that brands would print it on their dials, and I have seen incabloc on rotors just like yours. 

Edited by Graziano
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Graziano said:

I don't know who made your watch I can't see makers name but back in the mid-20thcentury, the “Incabloc” trademark was a sign of quality and excellence for watches, to the point that brands would print it on their dials, and I have seen incabloc on rotors just like yours. 

Incabloc-shock-absorber-device-animated.gif

Thanks. I do have another 24 Jewel incabloc. Btw, this watch has a radioactive radium dial.

I have got two bumper automatics( AS made specially for Mido), with the original MS still in the barrel, a detached special spindle. Though a regulare type spring replacement can't be ruled out, I wonder what original MS in my watch is telling.

I suggest you check and try to source a MS for this before investing time in it.

Regs

Joe

On 1/19/2021 at 2:04 AM, Graziano said:

Incabloc-shock-absorber-device-animated.gif

Hi Graziano,  Do I have your permission to repost this (Picture or whatever its called) in the froum as it will surely come needed. 

Regs 

Joe

16 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi Graziano,  Do I have your permission to repost this (Picture or whatever its called) in the froum as it will surely come needed. 

Regs 

Joe

Hi Joe, please delete it as I didn't even think about that, I don't want to cause any problems. Sorry about that. 

1 hour ago, Graziano said:

Hi Joe, please delete it as I didn't even think about that, I don't want to cause any problems. Sorry about that. 

Hi Graziano,  I don't think there is any problem with you post.

I find this gifs very useful specially helpful to me when I try to explain things with my broken English.

I was just asking for your permission to use it, playing polite, didn't want to just steal it.

Regs 

Joe

28 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi Graziano,  I don't think there is any problem with you post.

I find this gifs very useful specially helpful to me when I try to explain things with my broken English.

I was just asking for your permission to use it, playing polite, didn't want to just steal it.

Regs 

Joe

Incabloc-shock-absorber-device-animated.gifAlso this link is helpful for explanation, 

Edited by Graziano
  • Haha 1