New to watches - jumped in with both feet

IBM16220

Hi everyone. I’m 35 and new to watch repair. I am an engineer and have done plenty of work on cars.  I am enjoying working on the watch so far but feel i got in over my head on my first watch i have ever worked on. I recently got an IBM 25 year service award Rolex handed down to me from my grandpa. It is a 1989 Datejust 16220. When i got it the dial was spinning in the case. Using YouTube videos I got through replacing that with no issues. However the second hand was not installed but i had it and come to find out the second wheel stem was broken In the hand. So i ordered a new second wheel and used Marks videos on YouTube to do that job. That’s how i got here. But i didn’t take my time and didn’t let the main spring wind down. I jumped right in and when i took the train wheel bridge off i realized my mistake. At that point the watch started unwinding rapidly and the minute hand hit one of the markers on the dial. Once the dust settled and i put it back together the watch isn’t working correctly. When i try to wind it the clutch on the spring barrel turns but so does the spring barrel which doesn’t allow the spring to wind. When i pull the stem out to hack position the hands turn but so does the clutch on the spring barrel as if it was trying to wind the watch. I have had front (date wheel side)and back (main spring barrel side) apart with no idea or visible sign of what is wrong. Any guidance would be appreciated as i am stumped and didn’t feel comfortable continuing to remove parts trying to find out. 

4 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi,

Your post will get more exposure if you create a thread in help&repair section, 

A picture of IBM double O zero project will help.? lol

Lets hope no part is damaged.

Your watch will be fixed.

Welcome to the forum.

Regs Joe

Thank you for the guidance, Joe. I reposted with pics in the watch repair section. I have been spending hours on the general Rolex forum learning everything i can about my watch and the brand/vintage watches in general. 

Now that I’m in working on my own watch I’ll be spending significant time here too. ?

1E298B14-9278-4244-A07A-2585E9EA7FA9.png

If memory serves me right , I read here on WRT that Rolex doesn't put out datasheet, if available watchweasol gets us link to datasheets in no time,  so I got lazy.

Should you decide to repair it,

Caliber Number is needed.

You have  evrything to gain by taking pictures at every step of disassembly. I don't know if there is a walkthrough ( search function) for you to browse through.

Never worked on a Rolex personally, no shortage of knowledge and experience here.

I guess its a chrono grade, high precision gears and excellent escapement.

The more questions you ask ,the better chance you provide for us to learn.

Regs 

Joe