removing hairspring collet

Hi

I have bought 2 pair of levers supposed to be for removing watch hands. But i have had to use them to try and remove hairspring collets also with a mix of success.

They tend to be to thick to go under the collet enough to be able to twist to remove the collet.

I know bergeon and horotc do them but thats for sets which my pocket will not stretch to.

Can any one suggest a decent tool or levers that will actually do this task.

cheers

gary

I use a safety razor blade, the thin edge slides under the collet with relative ease , open a gap, work your way around the collet to widen the gap, once wide enough you can insert in a scredriver blade, keep on until the spring come off.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gary17 said:

They tend to be to thick to go under the collet enough to be able to twist to remove the collet.

You're not supposed to use the levers the way you describe?

You're supposed to kind of combined the techniques of Nucejoe With his razor blade edge and the benefit of the wage shape of the lever.

I have a picture out of the catalog not quite right but close enough. You're supposed to push the levers straight in the sharp edge is supposed to go under the collet.  Because there's a little more of a wage shape than the razor blade edge the collet will lift up naturally. Only when the levers all the way under you could push down and just pop the collet up. Usually that isn't necessary. You never want to twist especially if you're trying to twist to go under the collet because that means you're not under the collet you're on the edge and you're going to lift they hairspring up instead of the collet. In other words a recipe for disaster.

The unfortunate problem of tools not just expensive Swiss tools now that are made cheaply is that they do have to be shaped correctly. I've seen some of the levers that are basically worthless because the shape is not correct.

hairspring levers how to use perhaps.JPG

• Like 1

You can get the cheap China made hand levers then slowly thin down the edge to a knife edge with a smooth oil stone. That is what I'm using at the moment.

Another technique used is to insert a large oiler into the collet slot and twist it and screw it off the balance staff.

• 11 months later...
9 hours ago, mooredan said:

Does anyone know which size would be best for old pocket watches? 

Probably the 2.5 but that's just a guess. I have levers there at work I'm at home so just guessing and levers I have I almost never use for hairsprings I'm more likely to use them for hands.

On 1/17/2021 at 6:14 AM, HectorLooi said:

You can get the cheap China made hand levers then slowly thin down the edge to a knife edge with a smooth oil stone. That is what I'm using at the moment.

Even though you're looking at a catalog the company that's well respected had been in the industry forever doesn't necessarily mean that all the tools are perfect out-of-the-box they might require may be perhaps modification. Then it be really nice if you go to the showroom and look at the tools and see what you really want. Then yes they really do have a showroom I've been there before very long time ago. So it's sometimes hard to tell in the catalog whether this is really what you want need or whatever

Then your PDF has two pages on the second page we find  30018-1 I'm thinking this more closely resembles what I have. Because whatever you have has to slide under the collet before you can even think about lifting up otherwise You will destroy the hairspring.

On 1/17/2021 at 6:14 AM, HectorLooi said:

Another technique used is to insert a large oiler into the collet slot and twist it and screw it off the balance staff.

Then this is the method that I use just not the same tool. Some watchmakers will use their smallest screwdriver that's a mistake. Because the screwdriver has a taper they have a habit of shoving it in and that spreads the collet that's an issue worst-case it breaks the collet. They used to make a tool exactly for this it's basically like the screwdriver tip except it's a very very long taper it just needs to go into the slot. So large and oil are providing it's really flat will work just fine. You should really practice before you start working on a good watch to see how this works but it works really nicely.