Automatic clicking

chrisdt

My Garrard Automatic has developed a loud click at almost every turn of the crown when hand winding. It appears to collect power ok though and also auto winds correctly and keeps working whilst wearing. I have taken the rotor off but have not been able to locate the source of the problem. Any assistance as to where I might start looking would be appreciated

P1010006.JPG

I'd be tempted to take the winder module off too, to see the click, rachet and winding wheel. You not only  have eliminate the parts you removed but might even see the fault starring at you, also wind through rachet wheel, that eliminates quite a bit for the least.

Its a process of elmination, next I guess is checking under dial.

Good luck

Does your watch have a caliber number? Then it almost looks like is a number under the balance rim that would be helpful if there's a number there? We might bill a find a tech sheet perhaps.

Then we can guess because we can't see the automatic mechanism so that probably has to come off. It may be that the reverser wheels have gotten sticky with time but that's just a wild guess. Also the other problem with automatic watches is often times they did not use jewels in critical locations and the holes where out to get oval. So basically this is exactly as mentioned above problem solving and you're going to have to take the automatic mechanism off. Then carefully look at all the wheels all of everything and you should build figured out hopefully

It's always amazing what you can find online if we take the movement number and the name they come up with the links below both of which suggests that the movement is based on  ETA 2783. From that we can a parts list.

https://antiques-atlas.com/antique/gents_unusual_1970s_silver_wrist_watch_garrard/as170a7214

https://www.birthyearwatches.com/product/1974-garrard-9k-gold-automatic/

496_ETA2750,1,2,6,4 ETA 2783.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks JohnR725 for that connection... I must say the gold Garrard which is the same as mine seems rather expensive at £449. I sold 2 of mine last year at less than half that price. But I suppose that is why they stay on sale for month after month after month