Hi Everyone

Clueless

Hi, I am just starting out on this hobby and so am a complete novice. I have a couple of old mechanical watches laying around and after years of wondering what to do with them  and have time on my hands during the UK Covid lockdown have decided to have a go at repairing them.I Any advice as to what basic tools and reading I would need would be much appreciated.

25 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

I think if you gives us a list of your watches" calibers"  we can put our heads together and see which one is best to start with.

H Nucejoe, I was thinking of starting on a Majex watch that was my uncles. The other are all much smaller watches. I think the only problem is a broken stem (and a scratched glass). I have opened the back but can't identify the movement- the only wording on it is "Majex 17 jewel Swiss made" any suggestins where to look?Movement.thumb.jpg.0354fccb46da407c30758276c253ba12.jpg

stem and winder.jpg

Dial.jpg

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hello and welcome to the forum.   I have attached a little reading while you ponder your next move. These will aquaint you with the complexities of the Horological world.   all the best

TZIllustratedGlossary (1).pdf 4.2 MB · 1 download Witschi Training Course.pdf 4.65 MB · 2 downloads 1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist.pdf 371.51 kB · 1 download

Thanks Watchweasol. Appreciate the help.

Hi and welcome, I started about 7 months ago, when you start looking for your tools have a look on the "Cousins" website, they stock everything from the budget range to high end Bergeon could save you buying twice like I did with some crappy eBay movement holders

Graham

• Thanks 1

I wind the majex through the ratchet wheel, if it runs, all you might want to do for now is fixing the stem. 

Just drop the crown in a solution of alum in tap water, the remainder of stem will deslove in alum and I can't  see if there is any thread left on the stem since you can get by with a stem extender if there is.

Keep us posted please.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 9:04 PM, Nucejoe said:

I wind the majex through the ratchet wheel, if it runs, all you might want to do for now is fixing the stem. 

Just drop the crown in a solution of alum in tap water, the remainder of stem will deslove in alum and I can't  see if there is any thread left on the stem since you can get by with a stem extender if there is.

Keep us posted please.

Thanks will give that a try. I have applied a little pressure to the balance wheel (just rested a screwdriver on one of the arms) and it seem to work okay but stopped as soon as the pressure was removed. Will try  and wind it via the ratchet wheelto see what happens.

The watch was is in a gold case - not sure about the crown. Would Alum be okay to use? I guess it would do no harm to try as the crown woud be unusable as it is.  I can see part of a thread just above the break to the extender is a good shout.

On 1/15/2021 at 5:31 PM, Gra said:

Hi and welcome, I started about 7 months ago, when you start looking for your tools have a look on the "Cousins" website, they stock everything from the budget range to high end Bergeon could save you buying twice like I did with some crappy eBay movement holders

Graham

Thanks for the advice- I have just opened an account with them.

17 minutes ago, Clueless said:

Thanks will give that a try. I have applied a little pressure to the balance wheel (just rested a screwdriver on one of the arms) and it seem to work okay but stopped as soon as the pressure was removed. Will try  and wind it via the ratchet wheelto see what happens.

The watch was is in a gold case - not sure about the crown. Would Alum be okay to use? I guess it would do no harm to try as the crown woud be unusable as it is.  I can see part of a thread just above the break to the extender is a good shout.

Good call. Wound it using the ratchet wheel and it straight away. Last time I know it was working was in the mid 70's!

It does seem to work fine when "face down" and then stops when turned "face u"p so there may be something else going on somewhere.

Have got some Alum powder on order and have bid on a couple of Majex watches on e-bay that look to have similar calibres to see if I can use one of their stems if the Alum doesn't work.

On 1/15/2021 at 5:31 PM, watchweasol said:

Hi  Glad the information is of some use.     When you get the movement out of the case have a look under the balance wheel   there will be a number (caliber) and a makers mark.  if to can post a picture of both it would be appreciated.       thanks.

Thanks, I have it out of it's case but can't stip it any further yet as I am awaiting some screwdrivers and will let you know ASAP.

ط

34 minutes ago, Clueless said:

It does seem to work fine when "face down" and then stops when turned "face u"p so there may be something else going on somewhere.

Sound like a faulty pivot or excess end shake so pivot can jump out of jewel hole or its shoulder rub on jewel housing.

Do you know how to feel the shakes on staff?

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 5:33 PM, Nucejoe said:

ط

Sound like a faulty pivot or excess end shake so pivot can jump out of jewel hole or its shoulder rub on jewel housing.

Do you know how to feel the shakes on staff?

All seems good now. put the stem extender in place and re-inserted into the movement and it seems to run fine.

On 1/18/2021 at 4:53 PM, Clueless said:

Good call. Wound it using the ratchet wheel and it straight away. Last time I know it was working was in the mid 70's!

Have got some Alum powder on order and have bid on a couple of Majex watches on e-bay that look to have similar calibres to see if I can use one of their stems if the Alum doesn't work.

The Alum worked and I have fitted the stem extender in place. The movement seems to be running well now (has been running for 24 hours so far). I will trim the extender to fit the case tomorrow and will check the time- keeping.

All being well it wiull just need a new crystal and be good for another 50 years!.

Thanks for your help.

On 1/15/2021 at 5:31 PM, watchweasol said:

Hi  Glad the information is of some use.     When you get the movement out of the case have a look under the balance wheel   there will be a number (caliber) and a makers mark.  if to can post a picture of both it would be appreciated.       thanks.

Hi,  I have managed to identify the number under the balance wheel as 307 but no sign of a makers mark (may be hidden under a plate). Sorry I can't get a photo but if it helps I think it manufacured in 1961/2  and just sys 17 jewels.

The closest I have been able to findon the ranfft site  is a Dugena 613  but not too sure,Movement.thumb.jpg.639036e080f22d59bfe10dbba93c5a06.jpg

• 4 weeks later...