Stem stuck as if completely wound ?? Working flawlessly until today ???

My Wittnauer chronograph which I have owned for the better part of my life suddenly exhibits strange behavior.

Short story:  I wound it yesterday (like everyday), it runs, today I went to wind it and the stem acted as though the watch is fully wound.  What could be wrong?

Longer story: This watch sits on my desk along with about seven other watches that I monitor daily.  Been sitting here for several months (previously it had been stored away in a jewelry box).  It has been working flawlessly until today.  I opened the back, but, alas, it is a chronograph.  I cannot see the rachet wheel or click.  I was going to release power and then rewind it but, like I say...cannot get access to this stuff.

My watchmaking renaissance is in its infancy. I have repaired several watches in the last couple of weeks and only lost a couple of components (grrr!!!).  I am many months (years) away from tackling a chronograph.  I will probably take it in for repair unless someone on this forum can share the magic bullet.

Thanks in advance!

The Valjoux 23 and 72 and their cousins all suffer from weak ratchet wheel teeth. A tooth can break at any time; I am thinking that on the last winding a tooth came off and is now jamming things. The click is just barely visible through a hole to the left of the chrono castle wheel viewed as in the pic if you want to try to let the power down, but it will need full disassembly to get to the ratchet wheel.

• Like 1

Just a follow up on this issue.  When I engage the crown, slowly turning in the winding direction, I feel the engagement and the resistance of the click.  So, I hypothesize that the winding wheel is engaging the rachet wheel.  Could still be a broken tooth lying around blocking the rachet wheel from turning.

I have three choices: 1) take it to a professional to have it fixed, 2) practice for a year and then tackle it myself, 3) do nothing.

5 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi what you must remember when doing any dismantling work is to photo each stage it will give you a record of what you did and where the parts all fit, memory is a fickle thing.

AMEN to that brother!!!  I have been doing that, albeit a little carelessly.  Gonna be very detail oriented going forward.  In the video posted, the watchmaker noted returning screws to their position after removing respective parts--so as not to get screws and their locations confused.  This is very clever, I think.

I ordered the part today.  Still not certain I will attack it, but at least I will have the part on hand for me, or a skilled watchmaker.

• Like 1