Color Matching Old Lume

Question

Wondering what everyone’s method/material is for color matching very old lume on watch hands. I don’t want it to glow, just refill the hour hand to match the old minute hand, as the radium “paint” is gone from the hour hand.

5 answers to this question

I have seen videos of guys reluming the hands with a neutral white lume and then applying small amounts of coffee on top of the dried white lume. The results were good, but they went for a light brownish color. Maybe if you repeat that process several times, you may reach your desired color. But as disclaimer: I have never done it by my self, so do your own research on that coffee-aging-topic 🙂

Thanks for the responses so far. I was wondering about flat enamel. Anybody use anything else to get the match? If the enamel doesn’t turn out right, is it easy to remove from bottom on hands?? Also, will the Testors gap the opening in the hand, or does it need to be thickened somehow?

I think I answered the thickness question. Testors is thick enough to bridge the gap. Now need to work on cleaning the excess on the ribs of the hand on the underside. Lacquer thinner, I’m guessing

A hard thing to replicate with old lume is the texture, they are never smooth, usually with a grainy look. I've used ground up colored chalk, mixed with lacquer, to get the look. Lately I've been using UV glue as well with good success. It takes a few tries to get something that isn't too much chalk, which is hard to work with, or too liquid, which makes it hard to bridge the gap. Also, with lacquer, it does shrink as it dries, which can be good or bad depending on what you want. The UV glue stays the same.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Nice work, I know the day ring can get brittle and crack while manipulating back into position during a service. Easy to guess how I came to find this out! good for me I had a ready supply of replacement 🙂    
    • The coil from @JohnD arrived in the post and set about modifying the metalwork to allow it to squeeze in place of the original. An hour or so of careful filing and Dremel work and it now fits like a glove. I also took care to ensure that the new wiring is double insulated with a few patches of Kapton tape a nylon bushing to replace one of the original brass nuts and some heat shrink sleeving ensuring that there is little chance of this ancient synchronous motor giving anyone a shock, even if the thing is dropped or the wires are pulled. I can't remember where I got the strange dayglo green cable ties from, but since nobody will see them, who cares about the colour. It got a good clean while it was apart as unsurprisingly it was filthy. The worm gears both had a thick pasty gunge on them that probably started life as either grease or oil. All of the bras surfaces were sticky and nasty.   Surprisingly it worked first time. After gingerly flicking the brass starter on the rear I let it run for about 10 minutes to see if it would overheat, but it was fine. No shocks, no smoke, no nasty electrical skid marks, no scary surprises. I then stripped it all down again and gave everything one more clean to ensure that I had removed all of the dust and filings from the modification and rebuilt it again gave it a proper oiling. This time though when I flicked it into life, it started to click ominously. My initial fear that the insulation might be breaking down and the coil arcing were unfunded, I has simply misaligned one of the gears and it was jumping. With that remedied I buttoned it all back up again and it is now sitting in my explosion containment test stand (the fire hearth) and whirring away with a low but pleasing hum. The patented tick also works. If you look carefully in the pictures of the mechanism you can see that it consists of a small steel blade that rides over some serrations on a brass wheel. Each time it falls off a tooth on the wheel, it clicks. The teeth are arranged to it ticks about twice per second. I've switched this off for the time being so I can listen out for any other strange noises it might produce. If testing goes well, then I'll case it back up and let it run, so I can see if it keeps good time. After that comes the tricky bit. Making a replacement for that wooden decorative trim. Here are some pictures of my test fitting of the coil, showing the modified brass top plate, the plastic spacer and some close up shots of the gearing.  
    • Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.
    • Have you demaged? Its a hairspring issue, sticking, rubbing, short length or wrong spring. So a bit of history might helps. 
    • Welcome to the forum Kieran.