Color Matching Old Lume

Question

Wondering what everyone’s method/material is for color matching very old lume on watch hands. I don’t want it to glow, just refill the hour hand to match the old minute hand, as the radium “paint” is gone from the hour hand.

5 answers to this question

I have seen videos of guys reluming the hands with a neutral white lume and then applying small amounts of coffee on top of the dried white lume. The results were good, but they went for a light brownish color. Maybe if you repeat that process several times, you may reach your desired color. But as disclaimer: I have never done it by my self, so do your own research on that coffee-aging-topic 🙂

Thanks for the responses so far. I was wondering about flat enamel. Anybody use anything else to get the match? If the enamel doesn’t turn out right, is it easy to remove from bottom on hands?? Also, will the Testors gap the opening in the hand, or does it need to be thickened somehow?

I think I answered the thickness question. Testors is thick enough to bridge the gap. Now need to work on cleaning the excess on the ribs of the hand on the underside. Lacquer thinner, I’m guessing

A hard thing to replicate with old lume is the texture, they are never smooth, usually with a grainy look. I've used ground up colored chalk, mixed with lacquer, to get the look. Lately I've been using UV glue as well with good success. It takes a few tries to get something that isn't too much chalk, which is hard to work with, or too liquid, which makes it hard to bridge the gap. Also, with lacquer, it does shrink as it dries, which can be good or bad depending on what you want. The UV glue stays the same.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• I fully let the power down. Turn the barrel by finger, you get a feel of the torque the movement takes to start running . That would give you an idea if you get inadequate torque out of both spring( unlikely). Next check turning( by spoke) wheels of the train. Make a habbit of this tests to get the hang of it. I didn't get to read all said so far, but agree with JohnC.  1-Oscilators grously out of beat wont self start. 2- Bad pivot. 3- Fork pallets badly out of adjustment. 4-No end shake on staff, fork arbout and escape wheel. Make a habbit of checking the oscilator,  See if pivots jump out of jewel holes as you gently raise one side of the balance wheel. Good luck
    • I'm waiting for the interview you had with Donald Trump. 
    • if you look at your original post, the 3rd photo shows that not all the wheels are clustered against the front plate. One of them is reversed with the wheel against the back plate. As a general rule, the gears are always arranged with the wheel to pinion, wheel to pinion. I think that wheel upside down. There might be some confusion here. We are not talking about the centre wheel. The going barrel is counted as the 1st wheel or sometimes called the great wheel. So the 4th wheel we are referring to is the one before the centre wheel.
    • I think that unless the mainspring is badly deformed that is unlikely to be the issue. If the rundown of the train is okay - or at least not awful - most likely problem is in the escapement or balance wheel. Check the hairspring is not hung up on the centre wheel - easy enough to do and easy enough to miss. Also check the hairspring is not out of flat and rubbing something.
    • post script: the view of the larger pivot, red arrow, is where I suspect a spacer, or the two washers that were directly behind the cannon pinion might go, to provide clearance between the two wheels. but I don't know. anyone want to loan me their 1950 Kundo 400 day clock for a reverse engineering study with me? 😉😁