First go with a Timex automatic

Balance resolved but not done yet...

After unscrewing the v-conic screw completely and tilting the balance enough I got it in there. And pinning the h/s wasn't half as tricky as I feared. The balance now swings nicely with a little pressure applied on the wheel train. 

But now I'm stuck on the winding mechanism. ? For some reason (?) there's a little axial play in the m/s arbor and the "planet wind pinion" that ends in a squarish shape that's supposed to sit in the squarish hole in  the "planet pinion ass'y"  and take the force when winding, slips back and no longer holds the planet wind part. In a regular swiss design, this connection would have been secured by the ratchet wheel screw but this is different....

If I apply a bit of pressure on the opposite side of the pinion, I can wind the m/s but as soon as the pressure goes away, the pinion slips back a bit and looses the grip in the planet part. 

I have attached a couple of pic's showing the "good" pinion position with its end flush with the two planet wheels and the "bad" position where the pinion end is lower than the surrounding planet wheels. 

I actually think this was the problem from start rather than the m/s not hooking onto the arbor. 

It somehow feels like it should be possible to shim somewhere to maintain the pinion in the good position but I can't get my head around where or how. 

IMG-0174.jpg

IMG-0177.jpg

3 minutes ago, bsoderling said:

If I apply a bit of pressure on the opposite side of the pinion, I can wind the m/s but as soon as the pressure goes away, the pinion slips back a bit and looses the grip in the planet part.

I wonder, how does it make you feel? Frustrated? Perplexed? Both? Good thing this is just a beginning, because it will get worse.

33 minutes ago, Poljot said:

I wonder, how does it make you feel? Frustrated? Perplexed? Both? Good thing this is just a beginning, because it will get worse.

Can I choose both? If we’re having a therapy session I want all options available on my way down... ?

33 minutes ago, bsoderling said:

Can I choose both? If we’re having a therapy session I want all options available on my way down... ?

Sure :-). I ended up buying a NOS movement. It did not look 100% as mine, but indeed it was the same movement caliber. Since it came without the oscillating weight, I simply transferred mine. Still have the old one put aside - this is my "when i have free time" project aka "never gonna happen".

56 minutes ago, Poljot said:

Sure :-). I ended up buying a NOS movement. It did not look 100% as mine, but indeed it was the same movement caliber. Since it came without the oscillating weight, I simply transferred mine. Still have the old one put aside - this is my "when i have free time" project aka "never gonna happen".

I keep hearing about NOS Timex items but can’t see any where I usually look for parts and donor movements. I’ll take a hint towards that slippery slope any day...

4 minutes ago, bsoderling said:

I keep hearing about NOS Timex items but can’t see any where I usually look for parts and donor movements. I’ll take a hint towards that slippery slope any day...

I bought it from JerseyMo. Ask, he may have what you need.