Which tool do I need to open this Wittnauer watch?

28 minutes ago, ngocchau said:

Hi everyone,

I have been failing to open this Wittnauer watch using prying tools. Does it need special tools or techniques to open it?

Thank you,

FC5D27F5-4540-4781-A13A-4616B32C2E2C.jpeg

3153F2E5-6DE2-45A1-A937-B946D9594E62.jpeg

414F14BA-B364-4169-83B1-943379EF3570.jpeg

It mentions on the case back "use all proof 1200 tool"! Wonder what's that!

With this type you will find it also has a two piece stem, so you will need something to go behind the button and then pull, I always used a pair of nippers. 

I remember doing a similar Wittnauer a couple of years ago. The winding stem was not the usual 2 piece type which could be pulled apart. I had to rotate the crown until the "dovetail" slot was visible in the crack between the dial and the case, then lift the movement up and free it from the slot in the crown tube.

If your crown exhibits unusual resistance when trying to pull it out, it might be like the one I encountered. 

12 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

I remember doing a similar Wittnauer a couple of years ago. The winding stem was not the usual 2 piece type which could be pulled apart. I had to rotate the crown until the "dovetail" slot was visible in the crack between the dial and the case, then lift the movement up and free it from the slot in the crown tube.
If your crown exhibits unusual resistance when trying to pull it out, it might be like the one I encountered. 

Correct. Many monocoque watches are like that. Split stems always involve a risk of breaking, especially when refitting.

In addition, when it comes to remove the crystal on these, it's always better to try  to pop it out with a syringe before going to grab it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Colditz
      Is  there a tool for installing the echalon shock spring as used by Seiko? I tried with two pairs of tweezers and it is so difficult. Mark makes it look easy. When I tried it it pings everywhere. I even tried putting a thin plastic bag over it while trying to engage the ends. Failed miserably. I've had to hold this one in abeyance till I get the nerve or the tool to try again.
    • By MattHH
      Hello and greetings to all!,
      I have 2 "tools" perhaps. I don't see a spot for it on my staking tool. Let me back up as well. I have introduced myself on Watch Repair Talk. I said I am a fledgling watch repairer.However, I am more like still in the egg. I have fixed quite a few watches and destroyed even more. Its ok though, I get a box of watches and practice. One time I even got a great deal on a box of watches price wise and it contained 2 working Suunto watches and even a couple of watches that were solid gold. You have to admire and love young adults that sell granddads watches on eBay  for pocket money without a clue what they are selling. If people spend a few bucks to have it appraised it would knock their socks off at what the watch is really worth.
           Sorry I am babbling . If anyone kind enough that knows what these "Tools?" are I would be grateful and possible name my next child after you. The one thing you can not see from the picture is some or most of the hole are tapered.
      Thank-You
      Matt H. Clearwater, Florida

• By matabog
      Hello!
      Is it even possible? I believe it is friction fit.
      Thank you!
    • By jnash
      Thought you guys may be interested in my latest project. full write up on my blog, but a few pics below
      Started from this.. 

to this.....

• By klimi99
      Greetings All,
      I hope this is not a silly question but I'd like to identify what tool(s) I might need to open this type of screw back watch case (see pic. below). This is an inexpensive Victorinox Swiss Army watch and I really don't want to spend $20-$25 at a Jeweler's to have the battery replaced. I know it's definitely not a snap/pop off case.

Thanks,

Klimi99