Which tool do I need to open this Wittnauer watch?

ngocchau

28 minutes ago, ngocchau said:

Hi everyone,

I have been failing to open this Wittnauer watch using prying tools. Does it need special tools or techniques to open it?

Thank you,

FC5D27F5-4540-4781-A13A-4616B32C2E2C.jpeg

3153F2E5-6DE2-45A1-A937-B946D9594E62.jpeg

414F14BA-B364-4169-83B1-943379EF3570.jpeg

It mentions on the case back "use all proof 1200 tool"! Wonder what's that!

I remember doing a similar Wittnauer a couple of years ago. The winding stem was not the usual 2 piece type which could be pulled apart. I had to rotate the crown until the "dovetail" slot was visible in the crack between the dial and the case, then lift the movement up and free it from the slot in the crown tube.

If your crown exhibits unusual resistance when trying to pull it out, it might be like the one I encountered. 

12 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

I remember doing a similar Wittnauer a couple of years ago. The winding stem was not the usual 2 piece type which could be pulled apart. I had to rotate the crown until the "dovetail" slot was visible in the crack between the dial and the case, then lift the movement up and free it from the slot in the crown tube.
If your crown exhibits unusual resistance when trying to pull it out, it might be like the one I encountered. 

Correct. Many monocoque watches are like that. Split stems always involve a risk of breaking, especially when refitting.

In addition, when it comes to remove the crystal on these, it's always better to try  to pop it out with a syringe before going to grab it.