Nice to be here

Hello all!

I'm Eli. From Iran, raised in New York, and just moved to Los Angeles. I've always been fascinated with the trade since watching my grandfather in Iran work on little Soviet clocks in his free time. I've had hobbies in cars, motorcycles, and musical equipment since I was a teenager, and have found many of those skills useful here.

I finished all three levels of Marks course about a month ago. I've also made may way through a couple of books, including Practical Watch Repairing and The Watch Repairer's Manual, amongst others. I'm currently working on Bench Practices for Watch and Clockmakers, which I have found to be fascinating and highly recommend it for any other beginners looking for more literature.

I've decided joining the forum would be a great next step as I have come across an increasing number of dead ends in my watch revival projects and could really use some more experienced brains to pick. I look forward to our adventures together!

53 minutes ago, alibababoombap said:

Hello all!

I'm Eli. From Iran, raised in New York, and just moved to Los Angeles. I've always been fascinated with the trade since watching my grandfather in Iran work on little Soviet clocks in his free time. I've had hobbies in cars, motorcycles, and musical equipment since I was a teenager, and have found many of those skills useful here.

I finished all three levels of Marks course about a month ago. I've also made may way through a couple of books, including Practical Watch Repairing and The Watch Repairer's Manual, amongst others. I'm currently working on Bench Practices for Watch and Clockmakers, which I have found to be fascinating and highly recommend it for any other beginners looking for more literature.

I've decided joining the forum would be a great next step as I have come across an increasing number of dead ends in my watch revival projects and could really use some more experienced brains to pick. I look forward to our adventures together!

Welcome Eli (myself a new member only recently). 

Your user name is one of the most fun to say - I hope to see it regularly!

Edited by Flagstaff

Hi Ali, welcome, I also am new to watchmaking and so far have found the site very helpful as I am sure you will also.

My grandfather was an amateur watchmaker in his spare time too, train shunter by day, he unfortunately passed away when I was 9....71 now, but he left me a 1840's pocket watch which is what got me started. I'm sure you will have very fond memories of your grandfather.

Again, welcome Ali.

Graham