FHF 175 Winding Stem

mcoulton

Hello

I recently ordered, from Cousins, a winding stem for the FHF 175 movement I'm working on. It's listed as "Winding Stem (401), FHF 175 PN FHF175401" When I try and install it the end section is to large for the movement hole (see picture) and the section before the threads is very close to being to big for the channel before the winding pinion. This stem is a fraction to large. I'm not sure of Cousins return policy and since I live in Canada would it make much sense to ship it back? So do I take a file to the stem and try and customise it or order another stem? Ebay has an "FHF 401 WINDING STEM x1, TAP 9, CAL. 175 175-1 175-1-3 175-3 (NOS) watch parts" that's 10.5mm long (I assume that's what the 10 1/2 stands for). The stem I got from Cousins is 18.5mm long. Ranfft lists the "Stem W842 (10.5'''), W875 (11.5''')", so perhaps my best bet is to order the replacement from ebay.  I'm seeking the advice of the experts in this group to see if someone else has run into a similar issue.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Michael

InkedWatch stem_LI.jpg

Edited by mcoulton

3 hours ago, mcoulton said:

Hello

I recently ordered, from Cousins, a winding stem for the FHF 175 movement I'm working on. It's listed as "Winding Stem (401), FHF 175 PN FHF175401" When I try and install it the end section is to large for the movement hole (see picture) and the section before the threads is very close to being to big for the channel before the winding pinion. This stem is a fraction to large. I'm not sure of Cousins return policy and since I live in Canada would it make much sense to ship it back? So do I take a file to the stem and try and customise it or order another stem? Ebay has an "FHF 401 WINDING STEM x1, TAP 9, CAL. 175 175-1 175-1-3 175-3 (NOS) watch parts" that's 10.5mm long (I assume that's what the 10 1/2 stands for). The stem I got from Cousins is 18.5mm long. Ranfft lists the "Stem W842 (10.5'''), W875 (11.5''')", so perhaps my best bet is to order the replacement from ebay.  I'm seeking the advice of the experts in this group to see if someone else has run into a similar issue.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Michael

InkedWatch stem_LI.jpg

You are not the only one getting such "roughly" finished Stems. I had to file mine as well due to exact same issue.

To reduce any circular section, mimic a lathe.

Mount the stem in a pin vice" your lathe", cut a piece of sandpaper as wide as the section to be reduced and bend it in the midle to shape a "V", grab the V shaped sandpaper in tweezers "V"  sandwich the section to be reduced inside the "V" eed sand paper and turn the vice.

Advantages are even reduction form both sides of the circle you are reducing the diameter of.

The piece comes out nearly polished.

This homemade lathe is also handy to increase diameter of the hole into which the stem end is to enter.

I did post a pictorial of this approach, its obviously tranfered to amazon cloud, can't search it.

Reg

Joe

15 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

I did post a pictorial of this approach, its obviously tranfered to amazon cloud, can't search it.

Yes you can. While writing a posting click "Other Media" bottom right, "Insert existing attachment" is presently the only choice. Then enter a portion of the filename if you know it, or browse all the thumbnails.

• Thanks 1