Pocket watch.

1 hour ago, Alexandros said:

Hi, so I just bought a broken pocket watch to learn a bit. If i push the button next to the crown and I change the time forward the mainspring starts running but if I wind it it won’t doe anything, does anyone know what I have to do?

image.jpg

image.jpg

O boy.. Let me try to explain.

When you push and hold that thing with your thumbnail it allows you to move the hands forward or backwards. When you release that thing, you should be able to wind your watch by spinning the winding crown in one direction..

If it does not work that way, you may need to disassemble your watch partially for inspection.

Edited by Poljot

1 hour ago, Alexandros said:

if I wind it it won’t doe anything, does anyone know what I have to do?

If the seller promised that it was working, return it and ask for a refund.

Otherwise if you will try to repair it yourself I wish you better luck than with the Seiko you have asked about previously. 

• Like 1

There are two possibilities,  As Poljot said, The mainspring is broke or the spring is off the arbour in either case you will have to remove the barrel and have a look.  It looks like a cylinder movement so be careful with it people who can fit new tampons are thin on the ground,.

2 hours ago, Alexandros said:

No no the seller showed 10 or so and said idk if they are working, there was one which was working but I didn’t like it.

so I taught maybe I could fix this one but yeah rip lol.

Of course you can with just a little effort. The good thing is that you do not need a timegrapher to fix this watch. Just a screwdriver (-s) at this point and a new mainspring later... There is always a chance that the old mainspring could be repaired (not recommended )

13 hours ago, watchweasol said:

It looks like a cylinder movement so be careful with it people who can fit new tampons are thin on the ground,.

I'm proud to fall into that category but I still depend by my mentor's stock. And since the OP wrote that he can wind the mainspring, that is the most likely failure, - a broken pivot. A broken mainspring cannot be wound. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, watchweasol said:

It looks like a cylinder movement so be careful with it people who can fit new tampons are thin on the ground,.

Sorry for being somewhat OT but I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask about what signifies a cylinder movement.

Looking at this video it would seem that what signifies a cylinder movement is its escapement, the way the balance interacts with the escape wheel teeth. That part on the staff is obviously called the "cylinder", hence the name of this type of movement, yes, no?

Now, the word "tampon" I associate to something quite different than watch movements. Is that slang for the cylinder part or something else?

Edited by VWatchie

5 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi jdm  if you fall into that catagory you have my admiration as there are not that many who will even attempt to fit tampons as it takes great care.

It is not that difficult but is a case where one really appreciate having ready top quality tools like a Feintaster micrometer, a complete staking set and of course the small stakes for tampons. They come however in hundreds of sizes so you must have a vast assortment, then some refinishment may be expected to the total lenght ot pivot shoulder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Sorry for being somewhat OT but I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask about what signifies a cylinder movement. Looking at this video it would seem that what signifies a cylinder movement is its escapement, the way the balance interacts with the escape wheel teeth. That part on the staff is obviously called the "cylinder", hence the name of this type of movement, yes, no?

Now, the word "tampon" I associate to something quite different than watch movements. Is that slang for the cylinder part or something else?

Yes a cylinder movement uses a cylinder escapement. As watchweasol correctly said, the tampons are plugs in the ends of the cylinder which are also the pivots. As the cylinder is drilled through (thus a cylinder, haha), plugging the ends is the only solution. Tampon is French for plug.

I've never had a huge assortment of tampons or cylinders, and always figured that by the time I sorted through and made whatever modifications necessary I could have just made a new one so I do that. Cylinders are a bit of a pain to make, the tampons not so bad. I do have a large assortment of cylinder escape wheels and wouldn't want to try making one!

• Like 1