Has this ever happened to you?

So check this out I had an elgin 539 a-11 hacking movement with a bad balance, i swapped the balance and realized it just did not work, (and yes i checked the hack lever, the stem was still in) I did nothing to this movement, didnt disassemble clean or do anything. I put the movement back in my organizer bin, and a couple days ago I opened it to start the service on it. However oddly enough as soon as I picked it up it started ticking away, so then I winded it up put a dial and hands on it and boom! This thing is still running! its been almost 42 hrs now and its keeping DEAD accurate time. I have never been able to get these results even when I do service them....like what are the odds, did some kind of angel possess this watch or is this just something that happens???

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 6:37 AM, saswatch88 said:

So check this out I had an elgin 539 a-11 hacking movement with a bad balance, i swapped the balance and realized it just did not work, (and yes i checked the hack lever, the stem was still in) I did nothing to this movement, didnt disassemble clean or do anything. I put the movement back in my organizer bin, and a couple days ago I opened it to start the service on it. However oddly enough as soon as I picked it up it started ticking away, so then I winded it up put a dial and hands on it and boom! This thing is still running! its been almost 42 hrs now and its keeping DEAD accurate time. I have never been able to get these results even when I do service them....like what are the odds, did some kind of angel possess this watch or is this just something that happens???

It's happened to me a couple of times, it's always the best feeling. But the real question is, have you tried wearing it yet? ?

1 hour ago, alibababoombap said:

It's happened to me a couple of times, it's always the best feeling. But the real question is, have you tried wearing it yet? ?

its a vintage watch which i normally dont wear them but i wore it for a few hours around the house until i went to bed and it was ticking away kept perfect time and was still good in the AM. New from the factory it had a 40hr power reserve it finally stopped at 45 hrs and was ahead by 1 min. but that 1 min happened after the first 40hr which iam going to chock up to the MS not having enough power since it was on it last leg causing low amp and high friction which would have sped up the watch in the final 5 hrs

Edited by saswatch88

Just now, saswatch88 said:

its a vintage watch which i normally dont wear them but i wore it for a few hours around the house until i went to bed and it was ticking away kept perfect time and was still good in the AM

2 hours ago, anilv said:

Probably some dirt in the movement which eventually move when you handled it again. I would clean and oil it and it should be fine.

Anilv

at this point iam leaving it as is, i feel like if i service. it it wont run as good

• Like 1
  • Haha 1