Seiko 7005a

Hi all, this is a question born of distraction and I’m sure it’ll get me some interesting replies. ?

is it just me or does anyone else have a problem lining up the escape wheel with the B&T bridge?  I’ve taken apart and (mostly) reassembled 6138’s and 6139’s and not had much issue. I thought, naively, that the 7005a would be a straightforward strip and rebuild to practice on but I’m continually stumped!  When I’ve finally got the escape properly seated, the rest of the gears refuse to move. Maybe I have too much time on my hands. 

1 hour ago, LonglineOjoe said:

Hi all, this is a question born of distraction and I’m sure it’ll get me some interesting replies. ?

is it just me or does anyone else have a problem lining up the escape wheel with the B&T bridge?  I’ve taken apart and (mostly) reassembled 6138’s and 6139’s and not had much issue. I thought, naively, that the 7005a would be a straightforward strip and rebuild to practice on but I’m continually stumped!  When I’ve finally got the escape properly seated, the rest of the gears refuse to move. Maybe I have too much time on my hands. 

maybe the jewel is cracked. Never had any issues like this on any seiko 7xxx movements.

I would add the gears in one at a time to see which one is jamming the gear train. 

The mainspring can also bind. Check for wear. And as above inspect all jewels.

This should be easy after a 6138 rebuild!

Good Luck.

The seiko 7 series are usually straight forward.  Assemble it bit by bit testing at each stage, Barrel, the train, check. escapement wheel, check. fork/pallet, check action with one turn on the spring is it snappy  if so add the balance.  the thing is check the freedom of rotation at each stage.   You might find the attached sheet handy

Seiko 7005A.pdf