Service sheets and technical documents section?

Hi admins and others,

I am wondering if we can have a designated section for service sheets and official documents, that are in the public domain. My vision of it is just as a repository for PDFs, not a message board. I think this might be a good addition to the website and would save us having to trawl through many posts when trying to find one. I am not sure of the feasibility of this, but I wanted to suggest it.

• Like 1

It may have been my imagination but I thought at one time the message board did have that feature? But I'm guessing when Mark was running out of space he got rid of that because all those PDFs can really add up is taking a lot of space.

Then there are people out there that already have websites with the PDFs. Like cousins has a section of PDFs there are several other places were PDFs can be found.

48 minutes ago, JohnC said:

a designated section for service sheets and official documents, that are in the public domain.

We did have a section of the sort that sat there mostly unused, following its removal , however, the idea for some improved version of it was brought up,  personally thought of collecting all links weasol keeps providing. but

Mark expressed concern and asked if these were ok to post here, spoke of some sort of legal/ loyalty rights,  saying we dont want trouble down the line.

Weasol replied, the ones he posts are alright. then weasol introduced several source, such as google and the like and some instruction how to get to the source.

How does the law define " public domain", does it mean no legal liability if the link is stored in wrt forums, cashe. whatever. or pdf's  etc. 

Does anybody know where would WRT stand if it allocated space to such section.

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

We did have a section of the sort that sat there mostly unused

One of the interesting thing is that occurs on this discussion group is that people continuously re-ask the same questions over and over again because?

For the newbies they fail to grasp in their excitement that conceivably we all went through whatever they're doing and more than likely the question has been asked before on the group.

The problem with the resources out there is people have to remember that they exist otherwise they're not going to look they're going to make use the resources the message board like I need this tech sheet and it will appear. So why bother to remember were all these resources are or care what all you have to do is ask.

Or even my amusement because it happened with a couple of questions lately I do a search to find an answer for someone's problem and I find the answer on this message board somebody's already had a similar problem With the same watch.

Such an interesting problem with typically the easiest solution for everybody is to just ask here and it will materialize. The problem is for those of us that make things materialize it would be nice to have a central database somewhere of all the PDFs but you're looking at several gigabytes of data. Although looking at the properties of one of my main folders of data but not all the Datuk is it scattered across the computer 21 GB. That doesn't include any of the new stuff that I've downloaded within the last couple years. Then conceivably there's some duplicates because of various sources I we just copy the DVD and put it in the computer so I know there's some duplicates but it gives you a clue of how big the database could be if you start accumulating all the PDFs.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

But I'm guessing when Mark was running out of space he got rid of that because all those PDFs can really add up is taking a lot of space.

Mark had the stuff hosted by Aliexpress, or was muhammad-ali-express, there are so many portals on the net nowadays, I am not sure which one it was.

We have threads( unremoved) with more than four thousand post containing absolutely no technical information almost zilch to be exact, like watch of the day or watch of today, watch of anyday, lucky we don't have one titled watch of somedays yet, so perhaps the reason for relocation was not shortage of space more like modifying and cleaning up the place here and removing some sections which had long remianed unused.

Link to datasheets of all calibers ever made wont add up to four thousand, but frankly even if all are embeded here there will always be such guestions and not just by newcomers.

Regs Joe

• Like 1

Cousins UK has an excellent database of PDF data and service sheets. Yes, we used to have a section here before and it was being maintained by a former member. It's gone now and I have no plans to re-instate it because of the time implications of maintaining such a database.

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Mark had the stuff hosted by Aliexpress, or was muhammad-ali-express, there are so many portals on the net nowadays, I am not sure which one it was.

Amazon Cloudfront.

• Thanks 2

On 1/5/2021 at 5:19 PM, JohnR725 said:

One of the interesting thing is that occurs on this discussion group is that people continuously re-ask the same questions over and over again because?

For the newbies they fail to grasp in their excitement that conceivably we all went through whatever they're doing and more than likely the question has been asked before on the group.

The problem with the resources out there is people have to remember that they exist otherwise they're not going to look they're going to make use the resources the message board like I need this tech sheet and it will appear. So why bother to remember were all these resources are or care what all you have to do is ask.

Or even my amusement because it happened with a couple of questions lately I do a search to find an answer for someone's problem and I find the answer on this message board somebody's already had a similar problem With the same watch.

Such an interesting problem with typically the easiest solution for everybody is to just ask here and it will materialize. The problem is for those of us that make things materialize it would be nice to have a central database somewhere of all the PDFs but you're looking at several gigabytes of data. Although looking at the properties of one of my main folders of data but not all the Datuk is it scattered across the computer 21 GB. That doesn't include any of the new stuff that I've downloaded within the last couple years. Then conceivably there's some duplicates because of various sources I we just copy the DVD and put it in the computer so I know there's some duplicates but it gives you a clue of how big the database could be if you start accumulating all the PDFs.

And us guys who are computer challenged appreciate people like you who have stuff and share it with guys like me. In other words, thanks John! It does not go unnoticed. I've been trying to get better at finding stuff on my own. Still is fun asking and meeting new people tho!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1