Check this out

Very nice. 

I've seen a couple of instances of copies of this classic spaghetti western watch being offered for sale.

If the original could do what it does in the film, it must have been a pretty spectacular piece of technology given how small it was, how loud it apparently was, how many notes it could sound, and how long the spring for the chimes lasted. I suspect there was a lot of artistic license used.

15 hours ago, AndyHull said:

If the original could do what it does in the film, it must have been a pretty spectacular piece of technology given how small it was, how loud it apparently was, how many notes it could sound, and how long the spring for the chimes lasted. I suspect there was a lot of artistic license used.

Loads of artistic license.  Even reproductions of this watch use electronics to reproduce the music.  Clint is 6'4" tall, so the tip of his thumb to the first knuckle is likely to be just slightly more than an inch.  The watch's diameter is smaller.  About an inch; about a size 0.  I have a Waltham that size.  Most musical alarms and repeaters I've seen online and elsewhere have a bit more bulk to them, and they are mostly not very loud.  And the song played is, of a necessity, quite short.  I'm with you, Andy: the watch in the movie would be an awe-inspiring mechanical marvel for its time period, if it actually worked that way, and worth a few kings' ransoms.

• Like 1