Newcomer, And Hobby Watchmaker, Learning...

Hi all, I am a newcomer in the watchmaking world, and was introduced to his fantastic world only a couple of years ago, when I decided to restore my late father's Seiko 7A34-7010 quartz chronograph. After learning from other forums and reading a lot online, and 6 months of try and error, I finally managed to fix it. This started the hobby, basically, and since then I bought several watches on eBay (at the start mainly Seiko quartz chronographs from the 80's) and restored them, one by one.

I then decided it was time to go a step higher, and bought a working Landeron 248 movement, without a case, which was in poor condition. I am still in the process of restoring it, since I still need to find some parts for it, but in the meantime I also bought, and restored, several mechanical watches.

Lacking space, and willing to make this hobby fund itself, I then sold some quartz watches and mechanical watches on eBay and other platforms, and have not receive any complaint yet, which makes me kind of proud of the work I've done.

I also started receiving requests of friends and relatives to repair their watches, something I am still not so sure I should, since my knowledge is still limited, but nevertheless, I did take some works since it was a simple matter of service/clean/oil.

Results were higher than expectations, actually, and everybody was happy, so I was happy.

During all this time I decided to document my steps, and my restorations, with a blog, that you can find here: <<forum rules please>> I also launched my youtube channel, but I must admit I am not as good at making videos as our own Mark. Nevertheless, I decided in 2015 to dedicate more time on this hobby of mine, investing also some more money I manage to "hide" from my wife :P and by the end of 2015 I am planning to attend an online course, not to be certified, but just to get the basics right.

Since this is an expensive hobby, I launched my own Patreon page: <<forum rules please>> which I really hope will work out somehow.

This is my story, up to now. I will be reading the forum, and participating as much as I can, and I hope I didn't break any rule linking my sites.

Regards

George Clarkson

• Like 1

Hi George - welcome to the forum, and thanks for the fascinating intro. Landeron 248 movements are great - I have a couple myself - but I don't think I'd have the skill to take one apart, diagnose any problems and then reassemble it!

Anyway, good to see you here, and looking forward to hearing your voice on the Forum.

Cheers,

Will

Hi Will, and thanks for the warm welcome. I was fascinated by the movement photos of mechanical chronographs I was watching on forums and websites (hodinkee.com is one of my favorites) and I decided to take the plunge, but starting from a chronograph that I could "understand"... This is why I bought that Landeron 248 movement. Here's the link to the thread on my blog regarding it: <<forum rules please>>

I am not still done with it, as I said some parts are missing, but I also made some videos:

As I said, I am not good at making videos either, so bear with the shaking camera and the out of focus moments... :P

• Like 1

Hi George, and welcome to the forum.

As you, I am a Landeron adicted. It started when I was around 16 years old when I bought my Tressa Seatempest. Saddly, it had a water infiltration and still under recovering from the 70th years. I did replace the three rusty axes (center second hand axe, watch second axe and crono minutes hand axe) for news ones and the movement works fine. The problem is the dial and the two small hands that was lost, destroyed by sea water. Since of that, the movement is not assembled in the case and I am seaching for a brand new original dial. If you know someone that have one new or used but in great shape, please tell me.

Landeron 248 is a great machine and is the last generation of the Landeron 48. And the last movements like mine, have the balace supported by Incabloc and all bridges and plates are silver (I suppose cromed) giving to the movement a beautifull look.

Good luck with your restoration, if I can help, just ask.

Ricardo

A warm welcome to the forum from Scotland George, I look forward to hearing about your exploits in Horology. :)

I am a fan of vintage chronographs, I've repaired a couple of Landeron 48's, but not a 248. I hope you pickup a good case for your 248, it deserves one!

Hi George, and welcome to the forum.

As you, I am a Landeron adicted. It started when I was around 16 years old when I bought my Tressa Seatempest. Saddly, it had a water infiltration and still under recovering from the 70th years. I did replace the three rusty axes (center second hand axe, watch second axe and crono minutes hand axe) for news ones and the movement works fine. The problem is the dial and the two small hands that was lost, destroyed by sea water. Since of that, the movement is not assembled in the case and I am seaching for a brand new original dial. If you know someone that have one new or used but in great shape, please tell me.

Landeron 248 is a great machine and is the last generation of the Landeron 48. And the last movements like mine, have the balace supported by Incabloc and all bridges and plates are silver (I suppose cromed) giving to the movement a beautifull look.

Good luck with your restoration, if I can help, just ask.

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo, and thanks for the warm welcome. I became addicted to the landeron 248 as soon as I saw it, actually. It is simply beautiful, yet still "understandable". As per your Tressa Seatempest, that is indeed a beautiful watch! Pity for the damage. I did buy a "spares" landeron 248 movement to get some parts out of it for my "Walker", but the dial is, I am afraid, in non-usable condition. I found on eBay some complete movements + dials, prices ranging from 99 to 150€, have you checked there? But I fear that it will be almost impossible to find an identical dial to yours...

A warm welcome to the forum from Scotland George, I look forward to hearing about your exploits in Horology. :)

I am a fan of vintage chronographs, I've repaired a couple of Landeron 48's, but not a 248. I hope you pickup a good case for your 248, it deserves one!

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to restore this one in "workable" condition, since I do not want a shiny new watch after all. I still want to retain its history, and I believe this particular movement does have some interesting stories to tell, after all these years... ;)

Hi Ricardo, and thanks for the warm welcome. I became addicted to the landeron 248 as soon as I saw it, actually. It is simply beautiful, yet still "understandable". As per your Tressa Seatempest, that is indeed a beautiful watch! Pity for the damage. I did buy a "spares" landeron 248 movement to get some parts out of it for my "Walker", but the dial is, I am afraid, in non-usable condition. I found on eBay some complete movements + dials, prices ranging from 99 to 150€, have you checked there? But I fear that it will be almost impossible to find an identical dial to yours...

I agree with you, and I found and bought a generic dial just to assemble the movement in the case and use it, till I get the original. You can see it (bay nº 301516281788). It is nice but not so nice as the original. Most of production of this model was sent to south america (I don't know why) and you can find some to sell from Argentina, Paraguay or Brazil (where I came from and where I bought mine). Here in Europe it is not so common and is very rare you see one for sell at ebay. My hope goes to Switzerland. From time to time you can find one seller with nice dials for Landerons or Valjoux, but not yet to my Seatempest. Still looking for, still praying... :pulling-hair-out: 

By the way, you don't need to buy others movements to donate parts as you can find almost parts to 248 as for 48 that's the same to 248.

BTW: I know I can find pieces of the Landeron 48 that fit well on the 248, yet again, I prefer get a completely identical movement to keep the originality as much as I can (I know, it is a battle lost right from the start...) Also, I am filling my spares box, since this is definitively NOT the first and last Landeron 248 I will own... ;)

Hey George, nice to know that you ara a braziliam too (or did live there long time...). I am living here about 26 years and I came from Rio de Janeiro. :D

When I talk about new parts for 248 it is really for 248. You can see at ebay nº321244475623 Hammer Cam Jumper Part nº8356 or ebay nº 321244475620 Hammer Mounted Part nº8220 and so other parts that is the same for several mevements 48, 148, 151, 248 etc. Just make a search by "Landeron".

Ricardo, I lived in Brazil (São Paulo) several years when I was a kid, and incidentally many years later, I met here in Germany, where I live at the moment, my "better half", who is Brazilian (from Rio, nevertheless), but you'd never guess my nationality, I am sure... but this is a long story, not worth to be told here.

As per the search on eBay, I got already some saved searches with "landeron" in them updating me daily in the email, so thanks. I found the parts I need already, need only to get the funds to grab them, and a proper case to fit everything in - which is the hardest part to find, btw. Any clues?

OK George, what a surprise! Give my best to your carioca "better half".

You are right, the worst part to find is the case. Very difficult to find one that fit and in good shape. Recently was an offer on ebay for a gold case with panel, hands and pushers for 248 in very good conditions, but the bids raise to values beyond 150 GBP (tooooo many high for me).

I ever search at local flea market and old stuff shops but the prices are umbelieve high and the watches are in very poor conditions for a refurbish. I hope you have better luck than me.

PS: I lived in SP for 9 years in my childhood exactly during this time I bought my Seatempest (long time ago... in the sixtieth).