A little advise needed!

Happy New Year guys and ladies!!! Quick question.  On the cap jewels, does the flat side face up or the concave side. Reason I'm asking tried replace cap jewel on one of the wheels,  well the the retainer spring will lock in but will not lock in will concave facing up. Im working on a ST 36 movement.  This is my first movement project,  and well learning alot lol. I've disassembled movement cleaned and oiled. After springing jewels, shock springs , etc. Im amazed how far these tiny parts fly lol! Im so ready to complete this build. Thank you all. 

22 minutes ago, kendallronin said:

Happy New Year guys and ladies!!! Quick question.  On the cap jewels, does the flat side face up or the concave side. Reason I'm asking tried replace cap jewel on one of the wheels,  well the the retainer spring will lock in but will not lock in will concave facing up. Im working on a ST 36 movement.  This is my first movement project,  and well learning alot lol. I've disassembled movement cleaned and oiled. After springing jewels, shock springs , etc. Im amazed how far these tiny parts fly lol! Im so ready to complete this build. Thank you all. 

Verify that Cap Jewel is Flat side Down and set correctly (flat) inside the jewel holder. If it's positioned even under slight angle you will have issues with the locking spring.

Flat side is to face the pivot.

In case pivot is worn and short so PIVOT SHOULDER rubs on the housing, your choices are

-To replace the staff

- Replace the balance complete

- Face the dome side to the pivot so to compensate for short pivot. This is when the first two choice are not available to you, a draw back to this is oil will not stay on top of the dome, so you might give it an epilame treatment.

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

The usual convention is the flat side down, although some have been found done side down to compensate for excess end shake   Attached picture, Is this the type.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Yes this is exactly the one. Thank you very much, I surely appreciate it! 

1 hour ago, Poljot said:

Verify that Cap Jewel is Flat side Down and set correctly (flat) inside the jewel holder. If it's positioned even under slight angle you will have issues with the locking spring.

Ah this may my issue. I've been having a heck of a time getting this movement in its case and on my wrist. I mean things like lost cap jewels, broken mainstring,  now broken hair spring. I guess it's all in the learning process.  

I forgot to mention, the jewels in question are for the first wheel. I may remove the wheel bridge and inspect the pinion on the first wheel, I can't actually see the pivot on the dial side stick through it respective guide. I can wind my spring, but have to slight nudge the 1st wheel to get it to spin. 

I'm a complete amateur so please excess my lack terminology and written descriptions I may post. But I thank all of you that help and add their knowledge and advice.

55 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Flat side is to face the pivot.

In case pivot is worn and short so PIVOT SHOULDER rubs on the housing, your choices are

-To replace the staff

- Replace the balance complete

- Face the dome side to the pivot so to compensate for short pivot. This is when the first two choice are not available to you, a draw back to this is oil will not stay on top of the dome, so you might give it an epilame treatment.

Thank you sir!!! Greatly and humbly appreciate your time and advise.