How to install day day wheel in ETA 2789?

I just did this a few days ago!!  It is VERY persnickety.

Clockboy is correct about the pins.  However, I found that I had to install the guide (the part with the pins) first and then install the date wheel on top of it.  The problem is that, while the guide engages in the pin slots, it does not "attach" and will move with the slightest of jostling.  This is a problem because, once I put the day wheel on, the click must be engaged and the only way I found to do this was to slightly lift up the day wheel (while holding everything in place with my finger) and push the click until it gets out from under the day wheel sprocket (for lack of better term).  Then after four or five tries, and all is engaged...carefully...very very carefully lift your finger so that nothing moves.  Put the dial washer on and carefully put on the dial. HOWEVER...before starting this process, MAKE SURE that the dial feet clamps are extended and out of the way of the dial feet so that you do not have to mess with them when dropping the dial on.

I have this movement on a Jubilee Day/Date diver case.

I had a thought during this ordeal that maybe putting a spot of glue on the guide so that it does not move.  It would only take a touch to stabilize.  This may be anathema to the purist...I don't know.

If my clumsy explanation is not clear, I can generate some pictures that will help explain.

• 1 year later...

Just done one of these. The day wheel sits on top of the finger labelled B and cannot sit flush. So slip a fine oiler just under the edge of the day wheel at point A and push in a bit. This causes the finger to move out of the way and the day wheel can then be pushed down  flush. Hope it helps. Steve.

Screenshot_20220710-000552-156.png

• Like 1