No Pivot - Third Wheel on Unitas 199 Movement

jdrichard

Was reassembling the Unitas 199 Movement I was working on, for the Solar vintage watch and I notice that the Third Wheel has no upper pivot. Can this be re-pivoted as it is very small, or should I try and source a NOS third wheel. Wheel 1 - Mainspring Barrel, Wheel 2 - Center Wheel, Wheel 3 - Broken Upper pivot.

BTW, still putting the movie up on YouTube 

48138F4B-1D8A-4976-88DE-74364CB70D5F.jpeg

C0308C52-C63B-48CF-B588-D10E072E3F2F.jpeg

It can definitely be repivoted*, the question is is it worth it? I don't know about the availability of components for this caliber but in general Unitas stuff is not too hard to find. I checked Jules Borel parts database and they don't have it, but that's just one source.

* I repivot a lot of stuff that is probably available cheaply just because I'm set up for it and it's a quick job in my shop. Something like this would be about 50 bucks to another professional, and they do or don't mark that up as they see fit (it's often a "rescue" job where they've broken the pivot, haha). For a tiny LeCoultre escape wheel with a 0.08mm pivot the price is quite different. That's why I say is it worth it- I would bet that part can be found for less than 50 bucks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rodabod said:

I think I can see the part with free post for about £7 on eBay. 

I’m quite slow at re-pivoting, so would generally want to buy the part and spend the time saved doing something else. 

Do you have the part number and a link? Save me some time:)

• 3 weeks later...