swapping jewels

Hey

Thought it about time i tried swapping jewels. So got the gear but i am struggling. I have watched marks video but he is a bit fast for me. I got you push the old jewel out with a pusher.( see pic2 ) Does the pointy bit need to be the same size as the hole in the jewel or the whole jewel?

I can remove them but cannot get them back in with the pump pusher at all. 

I can get them in sometimes with the ordinary pusher. But i have also shattered some jewels.

The way i am doing it is as follows.

I set the tool up with the pusher in position lower it until its just above the jewel which is on a stump. I then lower it via the numbered wheel until i feel contact putting a slight bit of weight on the handle. I then note what number i am on. I then continue via the wheel until the jewel pops out the bottom. I then replace the pusher for a pump pusher wind the wheel back to the number i had when i started the push. I then give it 1 more turn back to clear the jewel. I then lower the spindle down via the wheel to the number i started at.

And if that is correct i am in trouble because they either go strait through or shatter.

I have put pic of the tools i am using incase i have the wrong gear.

Anyone with the patience of a saint like to put me on the right road.

cheers

gary

IMG_20201227_221450.jpg

IMG_20201227_221430.jpg

IMG_20201227_223442.jpg

IMG_20201227_223453.jpg

15 hours ago, gary17 said:

I can get them in sometimes with the ordinary pusher. But i have also shattered some jewels.

And if that is correct i am in trouble because they either go strait through or shatter.

No tool can feel and have abilities of your brain, the tool you are using robbs you of a feel of how things are and whats happening with the jewel, so you hear the shattering which means its too late.

Make sure you are setting the right size jewel in, insert the jewel from inner side of mainplate or bridge, insert the tappered end of the jewel, push on the jewel with staking punch manually, you will no doubt feel something is wrong if there is.

I didn't know jewels are breakable or they wear, first read about it on forums.

Happy Christmas

Thanks nuce

and merry christmas to you and yours.
just to be clear.

Pushing it out is from the inner as well so i can check measurement. I push on the flat side of the jewel so the tapered end comes out first. And exactly the same for re setting the jewel??

God i hope thats right.

cheers

gary

Yes; always push in the direction of the chamfer- setting as well as removing.

I prefer to use a stake that is just shy of the outer diameter of the jewel, so it applies force at the outer edges, NOT at the center. I believe the Marshall and K&D manuals indicate the same thing- it just makes sense to me, coming from changing seals and bearings for ever.

Use the same stake to set the new one too. 

Alignment of the stake and stump is critical. I imagine on your tool they are aligned all the time, but on one with a rotating table (like mine), the alignment should be checked carefully, and often.

Even at this, with every precaution taken, jewels will shatter sometimes. If so, be sure the hole is absolutely clean before trying again.

PS The Marshall kit also includes reamers, and indicates the hole should be reamed (even when not changed for size) to ensure it is precisely prepared for the new jewel.

This stuff is easier for me than the damn incabloc spring I STILL cannot get changed...