Anniversary Clock Running to Fast

Konrad

Hi all and a merry xmas. I have a Kern anniversary clock which I have restored. The clock runs well however runs extremely fast despite turning the adjustment +/- clockwise fully. I have had a look at past forums and note that it might possibly be an incorrect sized torsion spring/wire. I believe the current wire in the clock has been replaced by someone previously based on finger prints found on covering sleeve. The pendulum weights (4) turn approximately 120 degrees. Is anyone able to advise if I am correct or an alternative idea to correct problem? Would appreciate any help including the correct sized spring and where to find/buy them. Many thanks for any help given2130923817_DSCN06311.thumb.JPG.32f25583dcd44cd5a975fc1c93f1c92b.JPG1790354123_DSCN06301.thumb.JPG.36a4fb5000f0a5afb9160be17805180c.JPG.

Hi If you can beg borrow or buy Charles Terwilligers book, the 10th edition  which is the bible on 400 day clocks, there is all the information you require, or as an alternative post a full picture of the back plate and members will be able to Identify the model and the spring type you require.

As Old Hippy said  the condition and length of the spring and its thickness and the positioning of the fork are critical to the operation              Happy New Year       all the best. 

Oldhippy is correct it will almost certainly be a suspension spring fault. Too strong or too weak results in running out of adjustment. It is possible to thin the spring if careful. The method is to lay the spring on a flat surface and carefully stroke the spring with a fine Emery ie 2000 grit to remove material. BUT you must not kink the spring in anyway. 

• 3 weeks later...