Hello Watch Friends

Ch3sm0829

1 hour ago, Ch3sm0829 said:

My name is Keanu, i'm from switzerland and, after fixing a small problem on my newly gifted Vostok Amphibia, very interested in the craft, willing to learn new things and maybe get some help if needed ?

?

What was it that you fixed on your Vostok Amphibia?

18 hours ago, Poljot said:

?

What was it that you fixed on your Vostok Amphibia?

Well some time ago it just stopped ticking even tho it was wound up... after purchasing a cheap watch tool set, i opened the watch and found a small brass looking piece and a gear that wasnt in place anymore... after some googling and figuring out, i realised the small fork holding down the two gears connected to the automatic winding mechanism was broken off so one of the gears fell out... so i ordered a new fork and in the meantime took out the rotor and those 2 gears connected to it. the watch worked again, until now today it actually stopped working again and i could not find an obvious problem yet, thus i came to this site to maybe find some answers to fix my vostok

(the picture was taken when i first opened the watch)

20201217_155014.jpg

Edited by Ch3sm0829

10 minutes ago, Ch3sm0829 said:

Well some time ago it just stopped ticking even tho it was wound up... after purchasing a cheap watch tool set, i opened the watch and found a small brass looking piece and a gear that wasnt in place anymore... after some googling and figuring out, i realised the small fork holding down the two gears connected to the automatic winding mechanism was broken off so one of the gears fell out... so i ordered a new fork and in the meantime took out the rotor and those 2 gears connected to it. the watch worked again, until now today it actually stopped working again and i could not find an obvious problem yet, thus i came to this site to maybe find some answers to fix my vostok

(the picture was taken when i first opened the watch)

If I could diagnose your watch by looking at that photo, I would quit my day job. ?

- are you able to wind it?

- if so, does the balance move freely at lest for a few seconds?

2 hours ago, Poljot said:

If I could diagnose your watch by looking at that photo, I would quit my day job. ?

- are you able to wind it?

- if so, does the balance move freely at lest for a few seconds?

Yes sry, that picture wasnt really ment for close examination... yes indeed i can still wind it and the balance wheel can move freely just not on its own, as you can see in the video.

152918345_WhatsAppImage2020-12-26at23_07_47.thumb.jpeg.e9d232fea3166781433e9d2f4558c3ef.jpeg
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ch3sm0829 said:

Yes sry, that picture wasnt really ment for close examination... yes indeed i can still wind it and the balance wheel can move freely just not on its own, as you can see in the video.

152918345_WhatsAppImage2020-12-26at23_07_47.thumb.jpeg.e9d232fea3166781433e9d2f4558c3ef.jpeg

as you can see in the video the escape wheel isnt moving at all wich is probably part of the problem or caused by it

This may or may not be a blind alley, but any idea what's up with the ratchet pawl on the crown wheel?  It's supposed to engage between the teeth of that wheel, but this one looks like it got wedged underneath them somehow, if that's not just a trick of the light.  Either way, it looked odd to me somehow.  I'm no expert with wristwatches (yet) so I don't know if I found part of the actual problem, or just another symptom. I will let some of the veterans chime in from here.

Right. Please do not poke balance wheel with that stick. Use Air Blower Pump (if you can).

Could you please loosen up balance cock screw just a tiny bit and slightly spin the watch while it's face down on the table just like in this video. If you prefer to use a toothpick - be gentle. Does it help to get the balance going? You may need to simply clean the balance pivots and jewels, then oil them.

sadly, it didn't really change anything after i loosend that screw it still behaved the same

Sorry, i thought it goes without saying that after that screw is somewhat loose, you need to slightly elevate the Balance Cock.

Let's imagine that both or one hole jewel is packed with old mineral oil because it was not cleaned or oiled properly several years ago, or because the watch was serviced 10+ years ago. Both or one Pivot would get stuck due to friction. By lifting up the balance cock (i am talking about 0.1-0.2mm no more) you may free the pivot. If so, the balance wheel shall start moving.

how would i even clean the jewels do i need some specific tools for that?

It could be frustrating experience for you if you do not have any previous experience or tools. Maybe Youtube videos would help, or a basic course. Everyone learns differently.

Search for Vostok 2416B movement, or in Russian Механизм 2416Б

https://vostokinc.com/machinery/24/mehanizm_2414b/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdjqpD7A8VU

You will find tons of videos, diagrams, parts, etc.

well damn, i may have done it bois... it works again? because i didnt really had much to loose i opened the watch up and took a look at the escape wheel, idk why but it was stuck... so i took it out and put it back in, made sure it was fitted in correctly and put it all back together... and it works again, maybe i just got lucky, nonetheless i feel proud. thanks for your  help and support?

Edited by Ch3sm0829
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 3:05 AM, Ch3sm0829 said:

i opened the watch and found a small brass looking piece and a gear that wasnt in place anymore... 

Do you have a photo of that piece of brass. I've come across some Russian watches with a brass shim placed under the balance cock to raise the height to give the correct amount of end shake. If the shim has fallen out, that would explain why the balance wheel is tight.

• Like 1