I broke my 4R36 hairspring. :(

Right the next thing is to verify that the power is being transferred from the mainspring. So take all power off the watch, remove the balance and the pallet fork.  Now put a turn on the mainspring, do the wheels turn freely right up to and including the escape wheel.  If that's ok, let off the power again and re install the pallet fork, now put two turns on the spring, manually move the pallet from side to side doe's it snap sharply from side to side when moved, if so the power is ok and the problem is most likely the balance.  Remove the power again and re install the balance, now without power when the balance is moved on its axis and released is it taking a few turns before it stops, yes/no, if no check the end shake of the balance staff, if yes remove the power again them remove the balance and the pallet fork, re install the balance and check the position of the impulse jewel, it should be central to the position the pallet fork is in when installed and central to the bankings. The previous information supplied will show diagramatically what I mean.      cheers

4 hours ago, Alexandros said:

Hi, so I replaced the balance wheel on my 4R36 movement with a NH36 balance wheel, idk what I have to do but it just won’t start running altough it fits perfectly and everythin, the hairspring is fine and is not bent at all.

Thread merged with your previous one on the same matter.

I had warned that getting a replacement balance would not have been the best choice for someone without any experience. At lest get some cheap but running mov'ts to learn first how to correctly refit, and handle in general, a balance.

On 1/18/2021 at 6:39 PM, Alexandros said:

I bought a new NH36 movement. Just practicing...

Have a look on the video below to understand why the impulse jewel needs to be in between the horns of the pallet fork. Then watch more videos like the ones by our Host Mark Lovick to see and mimic the moves done to install a balance it in one shot. If you are not successful at this, there are other methods too, often discussed - use the search function.

• Thanks 1

Right remove the fate complication and try again in case anything is causing a bind. what we are doing is reducing the watch to the basic mechanism.  Did all the check work out and there is power to the balance and with the power off the inpulse pin is in the center in the fork.

Hairspring coil is pushed to the side and not concentric, which leaves the last circle of the coil too close to the stud, upon expansion of the coil, last circle may rub on stud, get stuck  ......etc. So first thing to do is to get the coil centered and away from the stud.

Next feel the end shake.

Turn the balance wheel as you observe the fork, balance should come to rest where impulse pin is inside the fork horn " in beat", use beat adjustor arm to bring impulse in beat.

Let us know the result.

10 minutes ago, Alexandros said:

Is it possible that the mainspring is magnetized because the spring is on one side?

Magnetization does not stop a watch. Please understand that replacing a balance complete is not as easy as it may seem, it's very easy for a beginner to do damage and don't even notice. In these cases, the watch will not run, or run erratically.

this is why pictures are nice it allows us to see things that maybe you don't see?

casually your hairspring looks fine but?

overlooked as it's part of the automatic winding your magic lever is not where it is supposed to be.  I'm attaching a couple images one of them shows how it's supposed to be. then look at your image that I snipped out and added some lines in. They even made a nice hole in the plate so you can see that the magic lever is missing? having your lever on top of the wheel that it's supposed to engage with a cover plate pushing down on it probably not desirable.

looks like a problem to me.JPG

magic lever poor drawing.JPG

Right remove the date complication and try again in case anything is causing a bind. what we are doing is reducing the watch to the basic mechanism.  Did all the check work out and there is power to the balance and with the power off the inpulse pin is in the center in the fork.

Sorry a typo shoud be DATE , in other words the date /day mechanism just leaving the basic watch plus the auto winder/magic finger assembly.

Hi Poljot's Picture explains it very well, The inpulse pin marked in red, should rest in the fork in a straight line when the power is removed and the fork/pallet is centerd and stay there if it moves either left or right on its own after being centered  the balance spring will have to be adjusted.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Poljot's Picture explains it very well, The inpulse pin marked in red, should rest in the fork in a straight line when the power is removed and the fork/pallet is centerd and stay there if it moves either left or right on its own after being centered  the balance spring will have to be adjusted.

I can't take credit for the picture, but red rectangular and two red crosses are mine ?

5 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

casually your hairspring looks fine but?

overlooked as it's part of the automatic winding your magic lever is not where it is supposed to be.  

alexanderos, just for a quick test,   you can wind through the ratchet wheel. 

Good eyes spotting magic lever JohnR.     however, coil is dangerously close to the stud too.

Regs

Joe

• 2 weeks later...