New Memeber

Scottster

Just got here. I started messing around with watches last summer. I tore apart a couple of old watches I had in a drawer that didn't work very well. After a week or so of tinkering with them they will never work again.

I found an online source, Time Zone Watch School, and completed the level one and had a great time working on a ETA 2801. I worked on a ETA 2824 in level 2. I really enjoyed level two and the more complicated movement. I also serviced an ETE 2836, a 6497, three Tissot 794's and I am starting on a Tissot 796. I have been struggling with an AS 1906 and an AS 1803. These are a much different approach then I am used to. Some of you have helped me with the 1906. I will let you know how it goes. I have signed up for level three and am looking forward to getting started, but I have a few movements to get back together first.

During my training with TZWS my Rolex 15200 that I have owned for about 15 years quit. I couldn't resist tearing it down. The mainspring broke and I was able to find the correct part and fix it. It has been working perfectly for about four months now.

I hope to find some new movements to work on. It is very interesting to me how different brands of movements have different approaches to watch making. Once in a while I get stumped and I hope everyone can help. I have really enjoyed the videos. I cant tell you how much they have helped.

I threw in a picture of the watch I am wearing today. It is a Tissot PR 100 with a ETA 2836-2 movement that I tore down and serviced. I polished the case and found a new braclett for it. Ive been wearing it for a couple of months now and it has been running great. It was a real project when I found it.

Thanks again and glad to be here.post-786-0-27357800-1426975292_thumb.jpg

Welcome Scottster, It seems your also hooked into the horological web. It's a lovely self satisfaction moment when the watch you have been working on bursts into life. I used to repair & re-furbish clocks & moved to watches approx. 18 months ago. I too recently serviced my Rolex 3135 and apart from one cock up (lost a Kif spring ) it went really well by following Mark,s excellent vid.

Enjoy & keep us up to date on your projects. There always seems to be something of interest here, problems, part searches & general chit chat.

Edited by clockboy

Welcome to the forum Driver1969, please post up your horological exploits. :)

Hi all! Mine is a long and winding road. I've always been a watch lover. My interest in repair came about a few years ago when my father passed away and left me his pocket watch. It's a Wittnauer with a Peseux 7016 manual wind movement. So far I've done a respectful cosmetic refurbishing and replaced the movement with a NOS movement I found on the bay.

post-773-14272171590691.jpg

The image is pre-swap. I've done a bunch of research and boldly (blindly? foolishly?) have built a few watches from parts including 6497 and 6498 based wristwatches:

post-773-14272173601376.jpg

post-773-14272173898845.jpg

post-773-14272174279041.jpg

I'm also working on an Omega SM300 with NOS parts I got online. Besides that, mostly through parts swaps I've brought back to life a handful of other watches for friends and family. Now I'm looking forward to repairing a few projects I've acquired over the course of the past two years.

Welcome Scottster, It seems your also hooked into the horological web. It's a lovely self satisfaction moment when the watch you have been working on bursts into life. I used to repair & re-furbish clocks & moved to watches approx. 18 months ago. I too recently serviced my Rolex 3135 and apart from one cock up (lost a Kif spring ) it went really well by following Mark,s excellent vid.

Enjoy & keep us up to date on your projects. There always seems to be something of interest here, problems, part searches & general chit chat.

Glad you serviced your own Rolex. My friends thought I was crazy when I told them I taken it completly apart. Works great and was a very gratifing job. Edited by Scottster

Hi Diver - that 6497 with the blue dial is the spitting image of one that I put together over a years ago - great minds think alike!

You can see it here:

http://www.willswatchpages.com/custom-6497.html

So true ha! I really liked that dial but I had to change it because it changed to an odd violet color I think due to sun damage, of all things?! So I swapped the dial to a more pedestrian black dial like the 6498 I made for my brother. post-773-14273021358943.jpg