Identifying clock

MechanicMike

MechanicMike,

You are going to need a lathe at some point for clock work. A unimat 3 would be ideal for you it is able to carry out all your clock work apart from balance staffs for platforms for which you would need a watchmakers lathe. Going back to the Unimat 3 it will accommodate Long case clock barrels and the Long case center wheel. Look on ebay for one and try to get something with accessories as accessories are expensive and this model is no longer in production. I sold mine years ago but about 3 years ago I bought another. You can even get a milling attachment for it.    

• Like 1

Hi Mike  The hand bushing tools sets are good but do no more than a good set of broaches and are expensive to boot, but again its down to choice.

Considering that the clock will run for 400 days on one wind, to me proves the workmanship and the fineness of the mechanism. In my previous statement I mentioned the pivots were hard like French clocks and Oldhippy rightly corrected me, what I meant is they are fine and well polished and deserve due care and attention. They do bend if treated harshly and with gentle care will straighten but its best to avoid the necessity. As Oldhippy mentioned the mainspring is powerful and care needs to be taken when removing and re fitting.  They are great clocks but take some patience in the setting up but once done you will enjoy the result.

I don’t know if it is because of their beat rate is remarkably slow, small about spring power required or their build quality but I found very few have had to be re-bushed. The most common fault is the suspension spring either being twisted/ kinked or just broken. If the pivots are polished all parts are spotless and the suspension spring is in good order they run. For the clock to run for several weeks / months they must be bang on in beat. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, oldhippy said:

MechanicMike,

You are going to need a lathe at some point for clock work. A unimat 3 would be ideal for you it is able to carry out all your clock work apart from balance staffs for platforms for which you would need a watchmakers lathe. Going back to the Unimat 3 it will accommodate Long case clock barrels and the Long case center wheel. Look on ebay for one and try to get something with accessories as accessories are expensive and this model is no longer in production. I sold mine years ago but about 3 years ago I bought another. You can even get a milling attachment for it.    

Agree 100% unfortunately I do not have room for one so struggle with a watchmakers lathe. Need a lotto win☺️

16 hours ago, Poljot said:

Some "how-to" ? videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX3Y3oujZZ8

I have looked at that vid as I do not own a bushing tool. My only issue is when the guy finishes you can see it has been re-bushed. If possible when I re-bush, when completed I like it to be an invisible repair. I fit a bush that is slightly too long and so I can cut my own oil sink and 9 times out 10 it is invisible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, clockboy said:

I have looked at that vid as I do not own a bushing tool. My only issue is when the guy finishes you can see it has been re-bushed. If possible when I re-bush, when completed I like it to be an invisible repair. I fit a bush that is slightly too long and so I can cut my own oil sink and 9 times out 10 it is invisible. 

Thank you for your feedback. I do not own a bushing tool. I wish I could learn / see how you handle re-bushing step-by-step. So far, I managed to find the issue with my solo-clock-repair project and to confirm that pushing the pivot out of elongated area back to true centre makes clock ticking. So, I do know that two bushings are the issue (one was already butchered by some clock hater). Any photos, videos, guidance are very welcome (PM or forum). Cheers!

3 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Poljot  have a read on this link https://www.davewestclocks.co.uk/Bushing.clock.plates.htm        This guy hand bushes as I do and if careful attention to detail is observed  ther are no problems         cheers

Reading and i am already intrigued ? after this "At this point I have to make an apology to anyone who has a bushing machine, I have never used one and do all my bushing by hand. "

Edited by Poljot

There are plenty of videos on you-tube describing how to remove springs without a winder, but you should not be tempted to emulate them pulling the spring out with pliers cause the spring to cone, this will not enable the spring to be replaced without it pushing up onto the barrel cap, causing it to rub on the cap when wound and running, power delivery from the spring will be uneven and regulation or the clock will not be possible, I have had to replace quite a few springs that are coned it can cause excessive wear to both the barrel cap and hole.

If you have not got a mainspring winder you could remove the arbor and soak the barrel and spring in a water free solvent for a few hours dry  with a hair dryer, it will not remove all the gunk this way but it should be cleaner.

If you do decide you may be doing quite a few clocks there are threads on this forum that describe how a mainspring winder can be made quite cheaply or there are commercially available winders, a Ollie Baker, or Webster winder are the best of the bunch for ease of spring removal, I have a Ollie Baker and it is sturdy enough to remove large fusee springs but requires quite a bit of effort, normal springs are easy to remove with one.

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike  these springs are prety strong and hand removal is a non starter. Have a look on the net fro Joe Collins mainspring winder. He designed these for the 400 day clocks and have been modified for all clocks except the fusee as they are real heavy. Attached are picks of the DIY solution.  I have build two and Member "Moose" has also build one and they work very well for a DIY product, as you see the ratchet is a reversible spanner with click so pretty strong.

Mainspring winder.jpg

spring winder 3.jpg

springwinder 2.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

Hi again all-

Hard at it on this one. With no mainspring tool, anyone know how to remove this behemoth without losing an eye or a finger? Kundo Anniversary clock circa 1950.

20210103_044035.jpg

20210103_055311.jpg

Looking at the spring it does not look in a bad condition normally I would recommend always remove the spring BUT that is a strong so leave it in situ. I have a Ollie Baker spring winder and even that sometimes struggles with the big springs.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, clockboy said:

Looking at the spring it does not look in a bad condition normally I would recommend always remove the spring BUT that is a strong so leave it in situ. I have a Ollie Baker spring winder and even that sometimes struggles with the big springs.

I should have mentioned that it was wound tight and had to be let down easy, and the suspension spring was snapped. I have a new mainspring enroute. I was worried about it being set. Thoughts?

On 1/1/2021 at 5:17 AM, watchweasol said:

Hi Mike  The hand bushing tools sets are good but do no more than a good set of broaches and are expensive to boot, but again its down to choice.

Considering that the clock will run for 400 days on one wind, to me proves the workmanship and the fineness of the mechanism. In my previous statement I mentioned the pivots were hard like French clocks and Oldhippy rightly corrected me, what I meant is they are fine and well polished and deserve due care and attention. They do bend if treated harshly and with gentle care will straighten but its best to avoid the necessity. As Oldhippy mentioned the mainspring is powerful and care needs to be taken when removing and re fitting.  They are great clocks but take some patience in the setting up but once done you will enjoy the result.

I am certainly finding this out. Happy to report the pivots are in great shape. A bit of diamatine and they'll be good. 

7 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Mike  these springs are prety strong and hand removal is a non starter. Have a look on the net fro Joe Collins mainspring winder. He designed these for the 400 day clocks and have been modified for all clocks except the fusee as they are real heavy. Attached are picks of the DIY solution.  I have build two and Member "Moose" has also build one and they work very well for a DIY product, as you see the ratchet is a reversible spanner with click so pretty strong.

Mainspring winder.jpg

spring winder 3.jpg

springwinder 2.jpg

That is a fine piece!

Hi Mike  The thing is they work allowing safe removal and re fitting of clock springs. Ok its not a Bergeon  or an Olli Baker but it does the same job. The Olli Baker requires you to hold the barrel in a gloved hand  these versions do not the barrel is clamped so no danger. I think "Moose" build his in a week.

I did a Haller 400 day some years ago. It has been on the shelf since then but the other day my wife put it on the window sill for show so Leveled it up and away it went.  I like these clocks ,nice to watch the pendulum

• Like 1

4 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Mike  The thing is they work allowing safe removal and re fitting of clock springs. Ok its not a Bergeon  or an Olli Baker but it does the same job. The Olli Baker requires you to hold the barrel in a gloved hand  these versions do not the barrel is clamped so no danger. I think "Moose" build his in a week.

I did a Haller 400 day some years ago. It has been on the shelf since then but the other day my wife put it on the window sill for show so Leveled it up and away it went.  I like these clocks ,nice to watch the pendulum

I'm looking forward to watching this one go. Waiting for parts to arrive, I starting polishing up some of the brass and does it look good! Aaaand just for good measure and to keep me grounded and humble, I zinged a pillar screw that I'm on the hunt for lol it's in here somewhere. Also looking into the Collins winders and plans. 

On 1/5/2021 at 5:05 AM, oldhippy said:

This is similar to the mainspring winder I have, nothing fancy it gets the job done and will take the largest fusee mainsprings.  

unnamed.jpg

Hi OH found one in France for $233. I might build one instead.

Hi everybody

Anyone interested, I have the prints to build a Joe Collins mainspring winder.  Send me a message or just hang out until I get some time and I'll post them here soon. Joe no longer makes them but I got them from a former member on here who got them from Joe himself. In addition there is a note from Jim with some extra links for parts, vids, accessories, etc. Nice little package. I'll be building one myself. Cheers..

Thanks for the tip, Weasol.?