Submerging your Dollar Watch in Naphtha

I did a similar clean with an old Westclox alarm clock many many years ago. At the time I was not sure how to disassemble so I just removed the hands and dial and using a stiff brush I washed with paraffin (USA Kerosene) and dried. After a touch of oil it ran a treat. 

I still use Zippo lighter fluid myself.  I open the cleaning jars out-of-doors when I transfer parts from, or to, the tray - due to fumes.  But it works better than most of what I've tried.
That's said, I don't just dunk the whole movement though.  You could, but if you want the solution to reach into every little hole and nook and corner, you must completely strip it.
I did a test a long while back, since I'd heard that naphtha will not harm the shellac that binds jewels to metal parts, that being the prime concern regarding cleaning agents.  So, I took an old anchor lever and dunked it in the Zippo fluid, and left it there about three days or so.  Took it out some time later and checked the pallets.  Tried to wiggle them and pull at them.  They were still firmly affixed.  The old hardened shellac had been unaffected.  Since I knew of nothing else in the watch movements I commonly work on which would be harmed by naphtha, I just keep using that.