rotary avenger 17 jewel

i recently acquired this rotary to practice on and hopefully improve it.i have cleaned and lubed it and more or less put it back together and it is ticking away nicely although i have not yet put it on the timegrapher .however my problem lies with the date ring and the other components.when i took the guard off (carefully i might add) the spring was just lying about and i have not a clue where it goes.can anybody please help?

InkedIMG_20201117_152410_LI.jpg

Unhelpful answer that spring definitely does not go there. Were missing something which would be helpful for the answer. Then my brain is tired and not glee is the technical term the date jumper thing or the thing that holds the date indicating disc in place notice it's all by itself wears it spring?

The cover plate turn it over and see if there's a recess for the spring to go into. A lot of times the spring will go into that and then when you put the plate down you just move the spring back so it can push on the jumper. Other times you put the jumper under the dates indicator so the spring can push on it when you put the plate down and then gently push it back like was something really fine under the indicating disc and then type in all your screws down before it flies away.

Then if we had a model number for this watch is it might be a tech sheet.

Hi Bernie - you haven't been very generous with giving us a movement ID or photos to help determine that! But those tracks in the date driving wheel? ... could this be a France Ebauches 140-1 C?

There's a good pic at https://17jewels.info/movements/f/fe/fe-140-1c/ which should let you see how that date jumper spring locates in relation to the calendar guard / cover plate and thus pushes on the date jumper part.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Unhelpful answer that spring definitely does not go there. Were missing something which would be helpful for the answer. Then my brain is tired and not glee is the technical term the date jumper thing or the thing that holds the date indicating disc in place notice it's all by itself wears it spring?

The cover plate turn it over and see if there's a recess for the spring to go into. A lot of times the spring will go into that and then when you put the plate down you just move the spring back so it can push on the jumper. Other times you put the jumper under the dates indicator so the spring can push on it when you put the plate down and then gently push it back like was something really fine under the indicating disc and then type in all your screws down before it flies away.

Then if we had a model number for this watch is it might be a tech sheet.

will have a go at that.it is a FE 140-1C

So nice to have a model number. I snipped out part of the image you'll notice that your cover plate has a nice opening to insert the spring. You can even see a little the outline of the spring in the cover plate. Other than the minor confusion of which direction sometimes to put the spring and it's really nice when I have ones like this.

hole for the spring.JPG

13 minutes ago, WatchMaker said:

Hi Bernie - you haven't been very generous with giving us a movement ID or photos to help determine that! But those tracks in the date driving wheel? ... could this be a France Ebauches 140-1 C?

There's a good pic at https://17jewels.info/movements/f/fe/fe-140-1c/ which should let you see how that date jumper spring locates in relation to the calendar guard / cover plate and thus pushes on the date jumper part.

Hope this helps.

sorry WatchMaker i had posted the mvt info then i saw your post!

rotary avenger 17 jewel

15 minutes ago, berniethebolt said:

they never tell you which way the bendy bit on the spring goes!

This is watch repair the word never doesn't always seem to apply.

The reason why never doesn't really apply is that over the years some watch companies have produced really nice service manuals which spell out  everything. Others do  manuals only for unique stuff and in other cases you're lucky if you get a parts list.

This is why it's always important when asking questions to give model numbers not generically say rotary avenger 17 jewel Because yes I searched online and didn't really get very far.

Another thing important to remember digital technology can be your friend like digital cameras  or phones that have digital cameras.  There's a lot of things that you should be using your brain for like why doesn't the watch run  rather than wasting your brain on how to fit parts that you could just taken a picture on.. Is a lot of times I've been very happy if I took a picture of something just because.

• Like 1