Old school case/movement holder

MechanicMike

4 hours ago, jdrichard said:

Saw one of these on line and was thinking Hmmmmmm

Yup I wondered if you would see this. You had mentioned on one of your vids you thought you might have one amongst your stuff. Its double-sided covering just about every size, ligne etc. I just took it a step further and milled out one side to accommodate PWs. No tipping, no wobble and no slippage or marks/scratches. You can chuck it up in a vise, or hold it by hand. Works great for casebacks and especially PWs. Adds a little flavor to my disaster area of a bench, too. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

Yup I wondered if you would see this. You had mentioned on one of your vids you thought you might have one amongst your stuff. Its double-sided covering just about every size, ligne etc. I just took it a step further and milled out one side to accommodate PWs. No tipping, no wobble and no slippage or marks/scratches. You can chuck it up in a vise, or hold it by hand. Works great for casebacks and especially PWs. Adds a little flavor to my disaster area of a bench, too. 

Darn, now i have to find one on-line:)  They look good.  Just got my second X4 smaller Marshal holder today.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

Ok, just purchased this one....what is the mod I need to do.

102D5B3D-8A81-4454-B37D-957D0FA39C30.jpeg

4 hours ago, jdrichard said:

Ok, just purchased this one....what is the mod I need to do.

102D5B3D-8A81-4454-B37D-957D0FA39C30.jpeg

I did mine on a Bridgeport mill using 41mm shell mill cutter to your desired depth. I took it down to where a 16S pocketwatch sits dial up with the dial just above the block surface. You can use any diameter you want. If you don't have access to a mill or a shell cutter you can use a hole saw. Make sure you have the jaws open about a 1/4" or so, so the pocket won't be too big. If you use a hole saw make sure you have the block tight in a vise and you're steady and straight with the drill motor. It would be even better if you have a drill press.

7 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

I did mine on a Bridgeport mill using 41mm shell mill cutter to your desired depth. I took it down to where a 16S pocketwatch sits dial up with the dial just above the block surface. You can use any diameter you want. If you don't have access to a mill or a shell cutter you can use a hole saw. Make sure you have the jaws open about a 1/4" or so, so the pocket won't be too big. If you use a hole saw make sure you have the block tight in a vise and you're steady and straight with the drill motor. It would be even better if you have a drill press.

So I can use my drill press to modify the cutouts?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tudor said:

Use a forestner bit in the drill press for clean sharp corners and clean flat bottom. 

(also fun for drilling holes at angles) we used them for jack holes in the edge of bodies. 

Do you hold the block of wood and move it carefully with your hands. I do want to keep my guitar fingers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jdrichard said:

So I can use my drill press to modify the cutouts?

sure can. just remember, don't make the cutouts too big in diameter-otherwise when you go to close it, the pocket will be too big. that's why I left a gap in the block, and cut one side, then the other. to help with that, I traced the 16S diameter with a pencil on top of the block when I had it closed tight. some of the wood left I just tapped on with a small chisel and popped them out.

7 hours ago, jdrichard said:

Do you hold the block of wood and move it carefully with your hands. I do want to keep my guitar fingers.

7 hours ago, jdrichard said:

As Tudor said, use a clamp, or a vise, or clamp some sort of stop or rest, to wedge the block up against to prevent spinning.. Otherwise you run the risk of having the block catch a burr and spinning it out of control and probably taking a picking finger or two with it. Use caution. I learned that the hard way.

On 12/19/2020 at 6:46 AM, jdrichard said:

Should I?

Did you get and modify your block? I was going to ask you-you should blueprint your Myers movement holder and post the dimensions of it. I haven't been lucky enough to find an intact one like you did but I wouldn't mind trying to machine one myself. 

10 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

Did you get and modify your block? I was going to ask you-you should blueprint your Myers movement holder and post the dimensions of it. I haven't been lucky enough to find an intact one like you did but I wouldn't mind trying to machine one myself. 

I have no way of blueprinting the meyers holder