To polish or leave alone

Marty

Evening all

Just bought this clock and was wondering if i should polish the case or leave it as is. The picture makes it look a lot brighter than it is in reality, would you consider tarnished brass as patina, my personal thought is that patina is more a case of wear / distress due to repeated use / rubbing over a period of time.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Marty

Lantern Clock.jpg

3 hours ago, Marty said:

Evening all

Just bought this clock and was wondering if i should polish the case or leave it as is. The picture makes it look a lot brighter than it is in reality, would you consider tarnished brass as patina, my personal thought is that patina is more a case of wear / distress due to repeated use / rubbing over a period of time.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Marty

I am not big fan of polishing vintage or antique watch cases or clocks. Leave it as-is.

How would you like it to look. Looking at the photo it looks as if you collect clocks. If you do decide to polish it when that is done use a clear  lacquer this will prevent it from tarnish. I don't like seeing a brass clock case caked in old dry brasso which has turned green or a whitish powder. 

This all comes down to your personal taste, these brass clocks are bolted together from many separate castings to clean the case properly you would have to break it down to its component parts in order to clean, I would soak in a weak clock cleaning solution, then clean with Brasso and re soak the parts and then clean in detergent.

As you have pointed out the idea is not to remove every defect or scratch you see, it is an absolute must to lacquer the brass after cleaning or all you work will soon be lost and the case will again tarnish.

Clear lacquers will not alter the colour of the brass, but you can also buy gold tone lacquers these if applied correctly will give you a finish almost indistinguishable from a gilt case.

The clock below I have just finished its a carriage clock that I bought years ago but have just got round to servicing, the case on this was very tarnished and dirty with plenty of old polish, the brass was also pitted this I can live with so would not try to polish it out I used a mid tone gold lacquer mixed 50/50 with a clear lacquer to get the tone I wanted, the clock should remain like this with no need to polish for many years.

P1000746.thumb.JPG.e762885c1f2fd7a6fb6afeaf8255128a.JPGP1000747.thumb.JPG.e0ec8a97a03066986660e194af44a112.JPGP1000748.thumb.JPG.cc9ade8d61f9b841e1ebbe94bbe42997.JPG

Edited by wls1971
  • Like 1

Good evening all

thanks for taking the time to reply. 

Poljot, looks like it's going to be a polish on this one. 

OH, WLS1971,I think I will polish it maybe not to a brilliant polish, I will start with a good clean as WLS1971 suggests with clock cleaning solution (i have some that has been used so is weak) and see how it looks, then a light polish, basically take it one step at a time until I get the finish that looks right. WS1971 I think I will get some toned lacquers and do some test applications for future reference, but probably use clear on this one. The brasso residue does look awful, I think I'm going to need a supply of tooth brushes.

Your right it does look like gilt, looks really nice.

Thanks for help it's much appreciated. Cracking forum.

1 hour ago, Marty said:

Poljot, looks like it's going to be a polish on this one.

I admire your courage! There will be lots of work!

I left my Japy Freres clock as-is. Well, not exactly as-is. I disassembled the case and the movement just to clean the case gently and to service the movement.

Hi Poljot, This may end up just being a gentle clean, I'll take a step at a time until I get the look that I think is right. It will be a while before i get round to working on this as I have a tortoisesheel boule bracket clock and a "monastary clock" that are ahead in the queue as well as 6 longcase clocks to restore.

Marty

When restoring a clock you need to know what it would be like when it was new. You should take it to that stage and nothing more. You could alter its value to the extent it could end up worthless. In my time I would always follow after researching the methods that were used in times past. Whatever you do don’t use motorised tools such as polishing mops or those dreadful dremel tools.

• Like 1

I think that I'm going to have a similar dilemma with this pewter cased electric clock when it arrives.....

164350863_FerrantiNo12clockbottomview.thumb.jpg.355f9d08e91d3cea0964585a5b353b0f.jpg84212393_FerrantiNo12clockfront2.thumb.jpg.4933c4784d1bf051085278c3fa199cea.jpg109926871_FerrantiNo12clockobliqueview.thumb.jpg.40957407e6638e8ff422fb21605224b4.jpg

I found a picture of a similar pewter cased Ferranti clock and like the appearance, but how to achive the same look on my one?

Ferranti pewter clock.jpg

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

There's plenty of ways to clean Pewter on google. My biggest concern would be that dial.  

I think I have got that covered as I have this one, with the same movement, and almost identical dial, incoming...

148105756_FerrantiModelNo2.thumb.jpg.34078ff7401989adb2aef2653ac25dd7.jpg

On 12/16/2020 at 10:40 AM, oldhippy said:

There's plenty of ways to clean Pewter on google. My biggest concern would be that dial.  

Oh ye of little faith?, original dial carefully cleaned with cotton buds, initially using saliva ? to disolve the main stain, then VERY carefully with mild soap and warm water to bring the less virulent discoloration off......I missed my vocation in life as an art restorer?. Soap and water treatment on the case finished with a coating of car polish......

A trio of Ferrantis.jpg

• Like 2