Case Opener

chadders1966

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone here uses the Bergeon 5700 case opener, or more particularly the cheaper Chinese version? I've been thinking of getting one for screw backs and was wondering if I could save money overall by buying the cheaper opener and using the Bergeon openers/dies with it. From what I've read the suction dies are very good.

If they are compatible it could well be worth doing - for all I know the cheaper version could be exactly the same item without the Bergeon badge. However if the fit is not good or the Chinese quality not up to scratch I may as well spend the extra in the first place. Any advice/experience? Thanks.

Stephen

I purchased this year the Horotec case opener & have been extremely pleased with it. You can also get dies to fit it for specific calibers. The dies are pricey but once bought they should last a life time. I recommend you have a look, it,s a good bit of kit & cheaper than the Bergeon

Cousins No. C22162

post-234-0-21281700-1426835218.png

Edited by clockboy
  • Like 1

Thanks for that. I am specifically looking at the option of the chinese version plus the bergeon dies, which would work out cheaper, but I don't even know if this would work. If not, I do like the Horotec so would need to decide between that and the Bergeon. I am strictly a hobbyist, so try to save money if I can, but not to the point of buying poor quality.

Stephen

I have used both the Bergeon (which I own) and the Horotec and to be fair, it is very hard to say one is better than the other. They both perform their function very well and minimise risk of damage to watch backs very well.

I cannot say wether the geniune dies will work with a clone but I can say that the clone dies do work with the original Bergeon tool because that I have tried. Having said that, the very fact that they are clones will mean that there is a 50/50 chance that the dies will fit because I am sure the manufacturing tolerances are very low on the chinese manufacturers agenda.

What I can say though is that the clone Rolex dies are completely crap and not worth the bother, better to buy the Horotec or Bergeon dies and the great thing is that they seem to fit either machine which is a bonus. I have some Rolex dies made by Horotec which work perfectly fine in my Bergeon machine.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark. Sort of what I'd guessed really, I could end up trying to save money and actually wasting it! Do you have experience with the suction dies? I have heard good reports of them on the Bergeon, and I know Horotec do them as well. Again I have read, but have no experience of whether it is true, that it's possible to use not much more than just these dies for all models.

Stephen

Thanks Mark. Sort of what I'd guessed really, I could end up trying to save money and actually wasting it! Do you have experience with the suction dies? I have heard good reports of them on the Bergeon, and I know Horotec do them as well. Again I have read, but have no experience of whether it is true, that it's possible to use not much more than just these dies for all models.

Stephen

I have the suction dies but I don't really rate them. Having said that - they got me out of trouble a few months ago then I was working on a watch which the front bezel screwed off and there was no notches, worked like a charm but I suspect the cheap rubber ball thingy would have done the same thing :)

• Like 1