My First Cylinder Movement

Deggsie

Hello all, hope you are all keeping well?   Ive just cleaned and reassembled my first cylinder movement, it’s a 1900 (ish) Fontainemelon, 13 Ligne.  Can someone tell me if I should lubricate the escapement teeth please, and what should I use - I was thinking moebius 9145 Grease?  Or should they be Left clean and dry?   Thanks in advanced 

Deggsie

On 12/10/2020 at 11:29 PM, nickelsilver said:

Yes lubricate the teeth, normal escapement grease is perfect 9415.

Thank you NickelSilver.   I trust your reply over one other I found, saying use vaseline and fill the hollow of the staff ?

Have a good weekend and Happy Christmas to all.

1 small dot of 9415 applied to every 3rd tooth, installed new main spring, and she started up beautifully.   Did need just a slight swing to get it going after a few clicks, but I understand this is normal as the cylinder escapement design doesn't allow for self start up like the Swiss lever design?  For a 100 year old watch I am just happy to have it ticking again, and not too concerned yet about its time keeping abiity.

Regards

Deggsie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deggsie said:

1 small dot of 9415 applied to every 3rd tooth, installed new main spring, and she started up beautifully.   Did need just a slight swing to get it going after a few clicks, but I understand this is normal as the cylinder escapement design doesn't allow for self start up like the Swiss lever design?  For a 100 year old watch I am just happy to have it ticking again, and not too concerned yet about its time keeping abiity.

Regards

Deggsie

I suppose the watch case is far from being air-tight. I would try to place as little oil as possible to avoid particles of dust being attracted to the surface of the escape wheel teeth. Otherwise, very soon, your watch will stop or, worse, it will turn into a "grinder" very quickly (depending on usage of course). I agree, would not be concerned about time-keeping ability. No need for the timegrapher :-). Would be nice to see a photo of your 13''' movement.