Seiko 5 7009A crystal ring?

...and hi all x2

Also in the vintage lot was a Seiko 5 7009A movement with a hazed or deteriorated crystal. Anyone seen these with the silver ring on them like this? Movement itself just needs a service I think so I'm going to attempt to get it running. 

Wow! My cats Rodico hairball. And I don't have a cat...

20201207_212141.jpg

20201207_212332.jpg

20201207_212304.jpg

53 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

...and hi all x2

Also in the vintage lot was a Seiko 5 7009A movement with a hazed or deteriorated crystal. Anyone seen these with the silver ring on them like this? Movement itself just needs a service I think so I'm going to attempt to get it running. 

Wow! My cats Rodico hairball. And I don't have a cat...

I could be wrong, but all you need is Tension (Armoured) Ring - Standard Ring - Chrome Colour - Sternkreuz ATC

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/standard-chrome-ringed-glass-atc

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Poljot said:

I could be wrong, but all you need is Tension (Armoured) Ring - Standard Ring - Chrome Colour - Sternkreuz ATC

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/standard-chrome-ringed-glass-atc

So they do exist. I was about to think it was some sort of skinny Chapter ring. In my short time doing this, never seen them before. Are they to tension the fit? Or strengthen the acrylic?  Interesting....

7 hours ago, aac58 said:

You can probably find the exact Sternkreuz crystal you need searching by the Seiko model number in this page: https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/filter/seiko-case-parts

I will probably be a XAC crystal (XAC for steel ring, XAG for golden ring)

I've tried: "No items matching or containing '7009-340' are listed in our database. Please check your lookup for mistakes and re-submit."

8 hours ago, aac58 said:

You can probably find the exact Sternkreuz crystal you need searching by the Seiko model number in this page: https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/filter/seiko-case-parts

STK didn't made dedicated crystals for all Seiko models. Only for the few ones that they deemed worth to offer an alternative, many decades ago. A generic crystal can work just fine, ordered by size.

24 minutes ago, Bodo said:

What's the case reference of the 7009?

That to allow searching the Seiko P/N on Cousins, jborel, Boley etc public references. Sometime you can find the part as NOS on Ebay etc, but often the asking price will be 2 or 3 times what the watch is worth.

The best recommendation is to just polish the crystal, which is very easy on acrylic like that

35 minutes ago, jdm said:

STK didn't made dedicated crystals for all Seiko models. Only for the few ones that they deemed worth to offer an alternative, many decades ago. A generic crystal can work just fine, ordered by size

That's why I said "probably". I like the SK quality, but everyone can choose what they like, I was just trying to help. I've found a SK crystal for 90% of the Seiko's I've search for, I'm not sure the watch model in this case is 7009-340x, I really doubt it is despite it is the dial model.

Edited by aac58

1 hour ago, aac58 said:

That's why I said "probably". I like the SK quality, but everyone can choose what they like, I was just trying to help. I've found a SK crystal for 90% of the Seiko's I've search for, I'm not sure the watch model in this case is 7009-340x, I really doubt it is despite it is the dial model.

Searching with Seiko case ID should be definitely your first step. Sometimes you get lucky ... and sometimes you don't.

When you don't, this page plus your measurements will find you the crystal you need:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/watch-glasses

7 hours ago, aac58 said:

7009-8810. I have them looking. No answer so far. 

8 hours ago, Poljot said:

I've tried: "No items matching or containing '7009-340' are listed in our database. Please check your lookup for mistakes and re-submit."

Same answer I got. So I gave them 7009-8810. See what they say. In the meantime, I ordered a Stella Ever-tite with tension ring at 33.1mm from Esslinger and I'm polishing like crazy to see if I can get this weird white dust-like stuff off the existing crystal. 

13 hours ago, JohnD said:

If there are no micro cracks in the acrylic, then polishing the crystal using Duraglit wadding usually restores them to near perfect condition......

Mad polishing going on right now...

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2020 at 9:58 AM, Poljot said:

Searching with Seiko case ID should be definitely your first step. Sometimes you get lucky ... and sometimes you don't

found, or finding out, this is very true, indeed. I wonder if they do this intentionally to drive us amateur hobbyists nuts? Same with their movement numbers, model numbers, and every other number combination they can think of...

• Like 1