7 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

Hello all

Found this in a vintage lot off the 'Bay. Ok, fill me in....

Looks like a set of Roller Removal attachments.

Very nice to have

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/5431665d12db139c18759ea561df2fdc82a6c2d0.jpg

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/first-staking-set-k-d-or-marshall.140672/#lg=post-1092335&slide=0

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/7a61605c1ed9149417f6e2609441787c653136dd.jpg

Edited by Poljot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

No kiddin, huh. Ok trying to figure this out so hold the knurl, and turn the "cheater bar" and the roller table will pop? Is that what I'm seeing? 

I am afraid nothing will pop: you turn the "cheater bar" to close this tool in order to hold tight the balance and provide support for the Roller. Then you bring a punch and trusted hammer! Boom!

Make sure to align the roller in such way that shellac does not get damaged

Once the roller is supported you take appropriate punch to force the staff out. Let me search for Roller Removal video, but the thing is that Staff Removal is the next step, right? I recommend getting K&D staking tool set #18 with Roller Removal and Staff Remover attachments.

Edited by Poljot
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Poljot said:

Once the roller is supported you take appropriate punch to force the staff out. Let me search for Roller Removal video, but the thing is that Staff Removal is the next step, right? I recommend getting K&D staking tool set #18 with Roller Removal and Staff Remover attachments.

I juuuuust missed that exact tool on ebay by a couple days. 

24 minutes ago, Poljot said:

That's "Bunn Special." Hes great to watch. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

I juuuuust missed that exact tool on ebay by a couple days. 

Nothing to worry about - the best way to get such tool is to buy a nice #18 K&D staking tool.

Btw, this particular "staff removal tool" is not really that great, but it does the job (not always ? ). Basically it prevents balance wheel from warping while you knocking the staff out.

37 minutes ago, Poljot said:

Nothing to worry about - the best way to get such tool is to buy a nice #18 K&D staking tool.

Btw, this particular "staff removal tool" is not really that great, but it does the job (not always ? ). Basically it prevents balance wheel from warping while you knocking the staff out.

I have a nice Marshall set. But no staff remover. Something to keep my eye out for. Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. I have some new balance staff jewels coming in for a Hampden job I'm doing. I'll probably email you about it tomorrow.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

I have a nice Marshall set. But no staff remover. Something to keep my eye out for. Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. I have some new balance staff jewels coming in for a Hampden job I'm doing. I'll probably email you about it tomorrow.

Please be careful when ordering Staff or Balance Assy for your Hampden 16S. You need to verify the actual caliber of your Hampden 16S and only then select the proper Staff as you have three options (different length, dia). Otherwise, your new Staff could be too high or too low.

https://www.balancestaffs.com/hampden.php

Hampden16S - Copy.PNG

Edited by Poljot
  • Like 1