Driving wheel for 3rd wheel removal? (Omega cal.351)

PaulC

12 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

there is several problems with this answer I'm only going to cover one of them for now. First the original tool suggested by nickelsilveris interesting because his location is in Switzerland or so he claims? So if this is how the Swiss do it why would somebody in Switzerland recommend this tool?

The Swiss school I went to was WOSTEP, like the guy who told Frank, so, hmm.

9 hours ago, Poljot said:

ETA7753 is another example where you have no choice ?

There's no driving wheel in that caliber, are you thinking of another?

12 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

First the original tool suggested by nickelsilveris interesting because his location is in Switzerland or so he claims?

Be reassured that it is ??

So if this is how the Swiss do it why would somebody in Switzerland recommend this tool?

I would not be surprised at all to see two guys in a same shop, watchmaker's or otherwise, do things differently and fiercely fight about which is right ?. I won't repeat the old say here as I love cats too much! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

The Swiss school I went to was WOSTEP, like the guy who told Frank, so, hmm

let's look at something first I have a link to the history of  wostep. As you can see it's a school, a school that's been in business for 54 years. a school that starts out small and gets big and finally gets its own building after being in a whole bunch of locations scattered around Neuchâtel. The important thing here is in all of that time there's going to be lots of people involved. Not just the instructors in the school but the students from time to time get to escape and go to the factories that means even more exposure to people and ideas.

then one of the things that keeps bothering me where did I get exposed to the tool that I have?

Then I am pretty sure that if somebody said use your fingers this is the way to do it I would've remembered. Because I too went to wostep and using your fingers does not seem like the way that would've been approved at all. Not in a school that was obsessed with perfection?

http://www.wostep.ch/en/history

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 2:09 AM, Poljot said:

May I ask if you ever visited this watch repair shop in Edinburgh?

3 Holyrood Rd

I visited it several times in the past, but last year it was permanently closed..

Oh man, it’s closed? That’s a shame. I never went in there. There are still several shops open though. Edinburgh has quite a big history in horology as I believe it was the second-largest centre for horology in the UK. The same applies to beer brewing - it was second only to London. 

49 minutes ago, rodabod said:

Oh man, it’s closed? That’s a shame. I never went in there. There are still several shops open though. Edinburgh has quite a big history in horology as I believe it was the second-largest centre for horology in the UK. The same applies to beer brewing - it was second only to London. 

Completely closed.. It was a very strange place: the guy was fixing watches and frying eggs & sausages next to his workbench :-). Did not look very organized, but was busy ?. I should be in Edinburgh now as we visit Scotland every year in December, but this year is different. There is very fancy place on 87 (?) George Street. They sell nice watches now. Used to be called "Brook and Son", I believe, and about 100 years ago they were selling first Submarine wristwatches by Tavannes (watertight - how do you like that, Rolex? :-).

• Like 1