Tube and pin loose on Victorinox watch - advice please

Hi, 

the pin and tube which attach the watch strap on one side to the watch case keeps sliding out. 

To fix this problem - do I simply need a new pin and tube? I can't understand how a new part would stay in place if this one does not. 

Is there another part I need to get them to stay put?

Thanks,

Pericles

IMG_2086.jpg

welcome to the forum    you need to replace the spring bar.  measure the distance between the case lugs (inner) in mm. You can purchase these as an assortment from Cousins uk watch parts  or in packs of a specific size . Some are single sprung and some are double sprung either will fit.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/fittings-spring-bars   will take you to the apropriate area.

That doesn't look like a spring bar. But a spring bar would definitely work.

Yours looks look like a friction fitted tube that slides over the end of the pin. There should be another tube stuck in one of the lugs. If the tube is loose on the bar, you can tighten it by pinching it slightly with a nail clipper, like tightening a cannon pinion. 

Thanks all for your suggestions. I think it is a friction fitted tube. There are spring bars elsewhere on the watch strap, but this isn't one of them. 

I'm a bit new to this, so bear with me! Re. lugs - I think there is only one - a central lug, and there isn't a tube in that (which is on the watch case) or in the two ends of the links from the watch strap.

The central tube is wider than the two sides of the watch strap link, so I don't think it goes there, but thanks for suggesting that. 

The central small tube is the same width as the single lug from the watch case. 

If I made the tube tighter on the bar, the whole pin would continue to slide out as now, albeit in one piece rather than two.

This item for sale seems to be the same part which is loose, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Band-Clasp-Buckle-Tube-Friction-Pin-Link-10mm-28mm-Spring-Bars-Repair-Tool-/174273426224

however, I can't see how replacing the part will stop it sliding out - if it is the same diameter. I can't help noticing that the similar item is called a "spring" bar - but the one i have does not seem to have a spring function. 

Any suggestions?

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

Edited by pericles95

Now I  can see the problem. It is one of your bracelet links that came off. If you slide the tube into the centre link, then align the strap properly and thread the bar through the hole on one side then use a small hammer to tap the bar into the tube until it is all the way in. If it feels loose, a thin smear of Loctite would help.

8 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Now I  can see the problem. It is one of your bracelet links that came off. If you slide the tube into the centre link, then align the strap properly and thread the bar through the hole on one side then use a small hammer to tap the bar into the tube until it is all the way in. If it feels loose, a thin smear of Loctite would help.

Thanks! I've purchased some Loctite and will do as you suggest.

On 11/30/2020 at 12:23 PM, Klassiker said:

Or take it to your local watchmaker's / jeweler's and have them fitted. Get both done while you are at it. The originals are apparently worn out. Better safe than sorry on a five-minute job with very low material cost.

this really would be the best solution if you can find the right people. Because there are shops out there that specialize in this kind of thing. you don't entirely want a jewelry store because they don't always work on watches or if they do they sometimes have issues and take it to the shop where you're supposed to go in the first place anyway. Or you could always ask at the jewelry store where they had recommend taking things.

Be careful what the Loctite approach you might end up with a band that no longer flexes and even gets locked in a really solid it will defeat the whole purpose of you going to take it out again.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 3:55 PM, pericles95 said:

I can't see how replacing the part will stop it sliding out - if it is the same diameter. 

There are (at least) two types, one used e.g. by Seiko has the tube (collar) split cut. While your has a groove on both the pin and tube to keep it in place. If gently closing the notch on the tube isn't enough you can buy a replacement on e.g. Cousing UK, you will need to cut these to size.