Quartz replacement?

IFELL

Hi all,

I am dealing with quartz Seiko 7N42 movement which I want to replace, but can't find any stock with the suppliers. Would you know about any suitable replacements for this one?
The dimensions are:

Size Ø25.60mm (11½’” Ligne)

Height 2.90mm

Hour, Minute & Centre Seconds

Date @ 3h

Battery 371

Hands Min .65, Hr 1.10, Sec .2

Thanks,

5 hours ago, IFELL said:

Hi all,

I am dealing with quartz Seiko 7N42 movement which I want to replace, but can't find any stock with the suppliers. Would you know about any suitable replacements for this one?

Thanks,

You can order the entire new movement for £10.45

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/filter/seiko-movement-parts

They are out of stock till mid Dec, if you can wait.

The vx42 is a direct replacement, sold by Seiko for assembly into non Seiko watches ,as such it is marked differently. it is generally cheaper ,more readily available and the only time you would know the difference is when you remove the case back.

3 hours ago, yankeedog said:

The vx42 is a direct replacement, sold by Seiko for assembly into non Seiko watches ,as such it is marked differently. it is generally cheaper ,more readily available and the only time you would know the difference is when you remove the case back.

It doesn't look like a direct replacement, but close: Sec .18 Vs Sec .20

7N42   Ligne, 11 1/2.  Thickness 2.78.  Hands 65/110/20 Dial feet  1 x 7  cell 371.

VX43   Ligne 11 1/2     Thickness 2.92.  Hands 65/110/20 Dial feet  2 X 8.  cell 373.

So not directly compatible  so hang on in there for the correct movement. You would have issues with the dial feet and the height depending on the case depth.

6 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

7N42   Ligne, 11 1/2.  Thickness 2.78.  Hands 65/110/20 Dial feet  1 x 7  cell 371.

VX43   Ligne 11 1/2     Thickness 2.92.  Hands 65/110/20 Dial feet  2 X 8.  cell 373.

So not directly compatible  so hang on in there for the correct movement. You would have issues with the dial feet and the height depending on the case depth.

VX42 was suggested, not VX43:

Height 2.62mm

Hour, Minute & Center Seconds

Date @ 3h

Battery 371

Hand Sizes: Min .65, Hr 1.10, Sec .18

1 hour ago, yankeedog said:

Please check my post  in watch of the day. Dated September  9.  I Put a vx43 in a 7n43 watch without  a problem.  

I am glad it worked for you and I have no doubt that vx43 would work just fine in many case.

I simply noticed two differences: 2.92mm Vs 2.62mm Height, and Sec .18 Vs Sec .20 hand dia. I will take a look at your Sept 9 post. Cheers!

• Like 1

Thank you all for the discussion, I will try ordering the VX42 as the price is ok for giving it a go.

And yes the reason for this original question was the fact that the exact replacement is out of stock with not much visibility on the restock date.

Thanks.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Poljot said:

I am glad it worked for you and I have no doubt that vx43 would work just fine in many case.

I simply noticed two differences: 2.92mm Vs 2.62mm Height, and Sec .18 Vs Sec .20 hand dia. I will take a look at your Sept 9 post. Cheers!

Yes there may be differences in the height, the vx42 being a tad slimmer.It was my impression however that most, if not all recent Seiko Quartz movements had 1.10, .65 and .20 mm handsizes.

3 hours ago, yankeedog said:

Yes there may be differences in the height, the vx42 being a tad slimmer.It was my impression however that most, if not all recent Seiko Quartz movements had 1.10, .65 and .20 mm handsizes.

Some Seiko movements that I serviced were just under 2mm in height in very slim watch cases. Thus, I would not get any similar movements if they were even slightly thicker. Those movements did not have Sec Hand, just an Hour & Minute.  1.10mm & 0.65mm sounds about right, but I don't remember.

• Like 1

So, the VX42 did not work as the date ring of the 7N42 does not fit in there. I need to swap the disks due to a different colouring. 

If you are not swapping the date disks, the movement swap would probably work.

So, I will be patiently waiting for Cousins to receive the movements...hopefully.