I'm Moving to a different building at the same complex and will have a nice room next to my office just for watch repair.  Their is a concrete floor now.  I plan to caulk between the floor and walls and paint the floor.  Question is do I paint it white or another color for easy finding of parts?  Any other advice before moving in?

1 hour ago, markr said:

Question is do I paint it white or another color for easy finding of parts?  Any other advice before moving in?

Get into a habit of using Rodico or two sets of tweezers, or a pair of tweezers and a peg-wood stick to hold the part in place while removing or installing it. Sometimes you can use a small piece of plastic wrap on top of the movement during disassembly of certain components. It's clear plastic - you can see things and the parts are not going to fly across the room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2020 at 9:56 PM, markr said:

Their is a concrete floor now.  I plan to caulk between the floor and walls and paint the floor. 

I would not like concrete floor in a rough mechanical shop, and it would drive me crazy for a watchmaking or any other precision shop. I do not know what kind of climate you have but just an average winter would make expensive and difficult to geet a comfortable temperature to work in. Anything else from the cheapest wood flooring to linoleoum or tiles would be better.

I think that a "brown" color was suggested in the book I'm reading.

So, perhaps cork? It's somewhat softer; low bounce for parts, and provides that contrast for shiny parts. But you can still roll an office chair on it.

Or maybe have the floor re-poured like a shower floor, with a big magnet at the low spot?