My first watch clean & rebuild

I thought I'd share my first ever mostly successful watch clean & rebuild. Not without it's moments, I have a healthy respect for the springs now having managing to lose then find the click spring twice! I also must have managed to bend the post to which the second hand attaches, perhaps when I removed it. Is there a way a complete amateur could fix this without destroying the watch? I went gentle on cleaning the face and it retains its patina of whats likely a bit of dampness from long ago. Sadly I can't wear it currently as the crystal keeps popping off.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks that I could use to keep the crystal on? It's set in a plastic ring.

Lastly does anyone know the history of "Relide" watches? I've never heard of them until now.

relide1.jpg

It has a nice, classic look to it, but I can't say I've heard of Relide before now.

As to springs going airborn and parts leaping into the unknown, it happens sometimes. I've been known to just grab the Dust Buster hand vacuum and put a piece of nylon pantie hose over the inlet, and hope for fhe best.

As to your loose crystal, sometimes they just aren't pressed all the way in.  But if you're sure that it is, there is this stuff called "G-S Hypo Cement".  You'd only need a tiny amount.  But first, I assume the movement loads through the back?

As to the bent second hand pivot...um...darn...bad juju there.  If it were me, I'd load the wheel in my Jacot tool and prop the bent end in the right-sized groove of one of the runners, and very, very, VERY gently and slowly use the polished side of a small screwdriver or tool to carefully straighten it.  I'd carefully heat it a bit as I go too.  But for all that, it could still break.  You may get lucky; you may not.

You could always make do without a second hand until you happen upon a duplicate donor movement.  That may be the easiest (abeit slowest) and best solution.

• Thanks 1

Does it say 21 Jewels on the dial? What is the diameter of the movement?

Also, my guess is that the Seconds Hand Pivot was bent when you placed the movement upside down (without the Dial installed). That's why i never use such pad as shown on your photo. Get yourself Bergeon 4040 movement holder and never place a watch face down with the dial being removed.

• Like 1

Thanks both for your comments and advice. 

KarlvonKoln, I'll hunt down a tube of that glue, it may help, certainly worth a go. The movement loads in from the front. The crystal is mounted in a thin plastic ring, which is pressed on. When you think it's all clipped in place it then pops itself off when it feels like it. I'll bear the vacuum trick in mind too.

I'm just starting out and I don't have any of that sort kit you have, the search is already on for a donor....

Poljot, I've gone over my photos again and under the balance it is marked with looks like a "P" in a shield with the number "320". Yes it does say "21 jewels" on the face and on the movement. Do you know if this is a commonly found movement with available spares?

You've also had me thinking, as to how the seconds hand pivot got bent and I think you're probably right. A beginners mistake, but something to learn by for sure. As they say you learn by your mistakes. I do have a movement holder, one of those cheap ones from the far east, it functions. However it does drive me nuts sometimes as it won't sit level on the table. I'll add a Bergeon 4040 to my Christmas list.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Poljot, I've gone over my photos again and under the balance it is marked with looks like a "P" in a shield with the number "320". Yes it does say "21 jewels" on the face and on the movement. Do you know if this is a commonly found movement with available spares?

You've also had me thinking, as to how the seconds hand pivot got bent and I think you're probably right. A beginners mistake, but something to learn by for sure. As they say you learn by your mistakes. I do have a movement holder, one of those cheap ones from the far east, it functions. However it does drive me nuts sometimes as it won't sit level on the table. I'll add a Bergeon 4040 to my Christmas list.

It could be Peseux 320 movement inside. You can upload one photo if you would like.

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

I'm just starting out and I don't have any of that sort kit you have, the search is already on for a donor....

If your movement is indeed Peseux 320, then you've got several options and will have to take some accurate measurement before ordering your part(-s):

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/filter/peseux-movement-parts

Does this movement below look similar to yours?

https://www.catawiki.com/l/24286723-accurist-swiss-made-peseux-320-21-jewels-33-mm-gold-plated-g10-men-1960-1969

Edited by Poljot
  • Thanks 1

I've dug through my photos. Hopefully you can make out the marks?

Thanks for the links.

It does look very similar, less the branding and colour. Perhaps "Relide" had some sort of connection to "Accurist" the styling cues of the face are in the same vein. The date in the link fits too there are two service marks scratched inside the back which suggest 1972, so many thanks for that.

P320.jpg

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

I've dug through my photos. Hopefully you can make out the marks?

Thanks for the links.

It does look very similar, less the branding and colour. Perhaps "Relide" had some sort of connection to "Accurist" the styling cues of the face are in the same vein. The date in the link fits too there are two service marks scratched inside the back which suggest 1972, so many thanks for that.

I believe this is your movement:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Peseux_320

Hands
1.30 x 0.80 / 0.21mm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Poljot, thanks for another useful link in looks like an absolute mine of info. Yes I would certainly agree with you it's a Peseux 320. I do have another question. What does "Hands" refer to? Is it the dimensions of the pivot that the second hand fit to? Thanks again

19 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Poljot, thanks for another useful link in looks like an absolute mine of info. Yes I would certainly agree with you it's a Peseux 320. I do have another question. What does "Hands" refer to? Is it the dimensions of the pivot that the second hand fit to? Thanks again

Glad to help!

Your guess is absolutely correct: Hour, Minute & Seconds Hand pivot hole diameter.

Here is just an example how you select correct hands for your movement or even for the actual Watch Case ID:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/baton-pairs-straight

As you can see, in addition to hole diameter you will need to know the Length of each hand.

Edited by Poljot
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Slowly beginning to get the hang of this. Quite pleased my guess was along the right lines, without any prior knowledge. I've learnt something, which can't be a bad thing. Another valuable resource for me browse. Cheers

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/hands-watch

Probably this link gives you even more info. You can also download Parts List for your movement, if it is available using the same website, but "document search" page:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/document

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

By way of an update, I managed to find a donor movement on that well known auction site. A Peseux 320, with Accurist branding. It had the key part I needed plus it provided another movement for me to practice on, without being too nervous about mangling something else.

So the second hand is proudly back where it belongs and ticking away nicely. Truly an achievement, for me anyway with my limited skills.

Thanks again Poljot, your help's encouraged me on.

• Thanks 1