Balance tack?

KarlvonKoln

Made one of my own.  My remaining pieces of 1/4 inch brass were narrow so I had to adjust the measurements a tad.  But it functions very nicely.  I like that it supports the wheel at a predetermined distance and does not allow the hairspring to hyper-extend.  A nice tool in theory, and I plan to put it into practice and judge how often I use it and how it performs.  Thanks for all these replies to my query, folks.  You have given me the more thorough discussions I was seeking.

20201207_175732.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Made one of my own.  My remaining pieces of 1/4 inch brass were narrow so I had to adjust the measurements a tad.  But it functions very nicely.  I like that it supports the wheel at a predetermined distance and does not allow the hairspring to hyper-extend.  A nice tool in theory, and I plan to put it into practice and judge how often I use it and how it performs.  Thanks for all these replies to my query, folks.  You have given me the more thorough discussions I was seeking.

20201207_175732.jpg

How did you bend the brass for the top lever?

9 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

How did you bend the brass for the top lever?

First, I ground the underside part way in, to thin the arm just a little, right where I needed to bend it.
Then I clamped the long, thick end. I lined a pair of pliers with a strip of silicone from an old spatula, and applied light heat from a propane torch as I *very slowly* and gently bent it to the amount I needed.  I bent it against a wooden buck I'd cut for this.  When it got close, I then used a rawhide mallet.  I'd also drawn out a measured profile on an index card ahead of time.  I just bent a little, compared it to the card, bent a bit more, compared, etc.  I took my time.

Edited by KarlvonKoln