My time as a watchmaker

The other day I was thinking about when I was a watchmaker and I was having problems with my posture and my neck. I was diagnosed with very sever spondylitis and was told the wear in the bones in my neck come close to someone in there 70’s I was only in my early 30’s at the time. My neck would lock and I was unable to move my head. The bones would rub each other because in some of my vertebral cartilage was none existent this also caused bad headaches and tightening of the muscles in my neck, it felt like my head was about to fall off. I had a Therapeutic counselor come around and have a look at my work shop. My work bench had to be a certain height so did all the other benches. One of the best recommendations for my posture and to help my neck was a ergonomic kneeling chair. It worked wonders for me and improved my posture and neck they are extremely comfortable. 

Here is the chair 

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

The other day I was thinking about when I was a watchmaker and I was having problems with my posture and my neck. I was diagnosed with very sever spondylitis and was told the wear in the bones in my neck come close to someone in there 70’s I was only in my early 30’s at the time. My neck would lock and I was unable to move my head. The bones would rub each other because in some of my vertebral cartilage was none existent this also caused bad headaches and tightening of the muscles in my neck, it felt like my head was about to fall off. I had a Therapeutic counselor come around and have a look at my work shop. My work bench had to be a certain height so did all the other benches. One of the best recommendations for my posture and to help my neck was a ergonomic kneeling chair. It worked wonders for me and improved my posture and neck they are extremely comfortable. 

Here is the chair 

s-l1600.jpg

Good story and very informative. This is why I purchased the mini bench

As a dentist for 35 years, I fully understand what you are saying. I have spondylosis in my neck, midback and lower back. And the compression of the spinal nerves lead to all sorts of systemic symptoms. 

I've spent a lot on various furniture and support aids with little results to show. But my chiropractor said symptoms do improve with age, which I find is true to a certain extent.

But the most ironic thing I found out from speaking to a Swedish company specializing in ergonomic office furniture is .... too much ergonomics is a bad thing. Having everything at arms reach at work leads to weakening of your core muscles.

So my advice to young people nowadays is WATCH YOUR BACK!

I think another factor that led to my back problems was deteriorating eyesight when I turned 40. To see better, I leaned in closer and every degree we lean in front of our centre of gravity, the more strain it puts on our spine.

Like now, after an 8 hr day at work, my back is killing me. If I feel the skin along my spine, some spots are literally hotter than others. On bad days, I have to put an ice pack on it.

The human skeleton is poorly designed. In the end I had to give it all up I ended up having a breakdown, that wrecked my marriage  After a slow recovery which took about 10 years I learned I T and went into teaching which was a laugh.  I'm retired now and once again enjoying life.

I don't rest my head on pillow but back of my shoulder and let my head rest about an inch lower than head when sleeping, this has eleminated head aches, pain in my neck and shoulder area.

Surgeons refused to operate on my neck specially, for the high risk. 

At early stages, I quitted accupuncture treatment as I believe the pain is a warning system and an absolute need for our safety.

Spinal problems, can also cause anxiety, depression and a host of psychosematic like issues, as our brain is uncertain what physical accident might happen next, specially in cases the brain remembers what caused the damage in the first place.

To those who have spinal/neck issue, I say there defenitely exist a posture just right for you, pain helps you find it. 

Best wishes

I've seen kneeling chairs before.  I have more problems with my lower back than any other part.  If adjusted accordingly, does anyone know if this sort of chair would be effective in addressing that kind of ailment?  I am considering giving one of those chairs a chance.

• 3 weeks later...

I had one of those ergonomic chairs when I worked for Alcoa in WA. Brilliant.

I should try and see if I can score one where I work now. I have one of this adjustable desks and spend a lot of time standing up at work.

Edited by Michael1962

• 1 month later...

As a hobbyist, I don't suffer for these particular ergonomic afflictions, but I do sit at a desk a lot, and that comes with its own hazards.

My local yoga specializes in back care and in particular for scoliosis and herniation.

I go to two back care specific classes per week, 90 minutes per class. They not only give you time to un-do the effects of bad posture during the class, but help raise awareness as to what your are doing wrong and what "right" feels like.

I would highly suggest this if it is available in your area. I found two weeks of these classes much more effective than months at the chiropractor.

• Like 1