Vintage Watches

13 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

A good grade unitas 6497, finally rebadged as ETA.

Definitely not a UT6497, the train layout is completely wrong for a stem at 12 and a sub-seconds at 6.

Not a UT6498 either as although the bridge shapes are very close, the layout of the Crown wheel, ratchet wheel, and the click is wrong. I suspect that it's not big enough for either of these calibers too as they are 16.5'''.

I think it is UT though, possibly a 196, 197, 198, or 199, which are either 10.5''' or 11.5'''.

5 minutes ago, Marc said:

Definitely not a UT6497, the train layout is completely wrong for a stem at 12 and a sub-seconds at 6.

Not a UT6498 either as although the bridge shapes are very close, the layout of the Crown wheel, ratchet wheel, and the click is wrong. I suspect that it's not big enough for either of these calibers too as they are 16.5'''.

I think it is UT though, possibly a 196, 197, 198, or 199, which are either 10.5''' or 11.5'''.

I think you are roght, Unitas 6431 is more like it, I didn't check this on Dr ranfft site and am not sure if they are of one family generation, not that prices are any different.

The one out of solar says 2adjut, better grade than unadjusted, so I stick with the price though JDR just wants an idea to decide how much to spend on em.

Gear bridge on the last one posted( out of winsor) seem scavanged off of a donor, a turn off by itself. wouldn,t spend much on it.

The solar looks worth a decent service to me anyway.

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

I think you are roght, Unitas 6431 is more like it, I didn't check this on Dr ranfft site and am not sure if they are of one family generation, not that prices are any different.

The one out of solar says 2adjut, better grade than unadjusted, so I stick with the price though JDR just wants an idea to decide how much to spend on em.

Gear bridge on the last one posted( out of winsor) seem scavanged off of a donor, a turn off by itself. wouldn,t spend much on it.

Marc and Nucejoe.  Big thanks for this track down and I will spend more time with the SOLAR watch, starting with a hand cleaning of the case (or ultrasonic). Need to see if I can recondition the crystal as well.  And then there is that old strap.  Have never done any leather strap work but would love to get is to shine again.

But this morning is Rolex Oyster Everest Precision (1957) review and perhaps start the disassembly with very shaky hands:) 

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Not a 6431 either, check the layout of the crown wheel, ratchet wheel , and click.

Oh shoot, lots of variants were made, I hope its a Unitas at least. 

Jd always works on ole good grades and making a staff  again ALWAYS is a pre-requisit.

Regards

3 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

That winsor can be a fhf30 variant. Rolex 59CS is based on fhf30-1. worth furthure search, the movement itself isn't worth much, but some of its parts might be rare.

Hi Jd,  So far as I can tell the windsor movement looks fhf30, I am not sure what parts interchange with fhf30-1= Rolex59CS.

Comparing the keyless helps, set spring on a Rolex fhf30-1 is always broke. I think windsor can worth more as a donor to a Rolex and hardly worthy of fixing as a windsor watch, bridge layout usually wont help much with interchangability not as much as a datasheet anyway.

There is always the question of high precision Rolex gears as well.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jdrichard said:

The marking is UT and 199. So not sure this is a 6497. It has cap jewels on the 3rd, 4th, and the Escapement.

On 11/22/2020 at 6:09 PM, Marc said:

So its back to what Marc was saying all along.

Dr ranffts does list UT199 though shows a different bridge layout.

Says adjusted in 3 positions so you might regain the precision with a good polish of pivots and poise,  then there is the question of hairspring originality/quality .. etc. Though the dollar value might not justify all the work to regain the precision.

I have got a thing for these generations of Unita movements and  personally wouldn't base my decision on dollar worth, but then this was your question from the first.

Good luck and a very happy Chirstmas to you and your familty.

Regs Joe.

On 12/27/2020 at 8:55 PM, Nucejoe said:

So its back to what Marc was saying all along.

Dr ranffts does list UT199 though shows a different bridge layout.

Says adjusted in 3 positions so you might regain the precision with a good polish of pivots and poise,  then there is the question of hairspring originality/quality .. etc. Though the dollar value might not justify all the work to regain the precision.

I have got a thing for these generations of Unita movements and  personally wouldn't base my decision on dollar worth, but then this was your question from the first.

Good luck and a very happy Chirstmas to you and your familty.

Regs Joe.

I now need a 3rd wheel as the pivot is broken.